Housing a Scolopendra sp.

Duss321

Arachnopeon
I have always been fascinated by Scolopendra. And since i have enough T's (for now), I was looking to buy one. But i've read that they are escape artists. So i was wondering in wich type of enclosure you guys house them, or what type you recommend.

Also any tips for decoration and care are appreciated.

I have this type of enclosure in mind:
http://www.terrariumdesigner.nl/pro...0x30x30+spinnen+terrarium+(voorradig)/TBL0003

Size can vary since i'm sure which species i want yet, i'm collecting the general info first. :)
Probably going to be an S. alternans or S. mortisans.

Thanks in advance!

laurenkane

Arachnosquire
Hi there!

The one you posted is nice! Just make sure it is secure to the max! It should have a locking component. Otherwise, your centipede WILL squeeze out.

I have a 8" subspinipes that I house in a tall Zoomed Naturalistic Terrarium. I love this enclosure because of the high walls and the aesthetic. Much nicer than using a bulky glass jar. It can also be locked with a small padlock. There is also plenty of space to place cork rounds and branches for your pede to climb on (mine loves climbing!). I can't say enough great things about this option! Just make sure cage accessories are not high enough for your pede to get to the top screen area. They can chew though that but are unable to climb glass.
See it here: http://thereptilecenter.com/media/c...594a9c230972d/2/0/2009102721335331621_lrg.jpg

Duss321

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your reply! :) I was thinking of putting something heavy on top of the sliding glas, or make some other sort of lock.
I like this one because its full glass and uses a metal strip with holes in it instead of mesh. I have some cork and branches available as i use them in my arboreal T enclosures. And i also have some leaf litter, live moss available since i also have poison dart frogs.

The zoo med is not available where i live (Netherlands) but i see they're almost the same as exo terra enclosures. What is the size of your enclosure?