Wild axolotl or tiger salamander larvae?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Last edited:

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Its a salamander larvae, axolotls are from mexico

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

jecraque

Arachnobaron
Yikes, those pics are pretty fuzzy, ha. I'd agree it looks like one of the mole salamanders (Ambystoma sp.) Mudpuppies do have red gills like this one seems to, and as youngsters they can look a little short and fat like mole salamanders, but by this size it ought to have a longer, flatter snout. Mudpuppies also have 4 toes on their back feet, so while I can't count the toes in the pic, that's an easy way for OP to distinguish.

Some mole salamanders do retain external gills their entire lives, though, which is pretty neat.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The coloring doesnt look right for a mudpuppy though. They are awesome, i used to keep them. Need to catch me another one.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Um I really think this is an axolotl. The reason I think that is because there were two of them with to colors morphs on them. They dug this concave half sphere thing and there was a geleton sphere thing with babies. Could this b a new species? I have photos of the babies.

jecraque

Arachnobaron
Wait, why would another individual and another color morph make it Ambystoma mexicanum?

If you'll look back you may notice I mentioned that some other mole salamanders can retain their gills their entire lives. That means they are sexually mature while retaining neotenic characteristics, just like axolotls (which are closely related). They mate, lay eggs, and have babies, never metamorphosing and losing their gills. That being said, given the size of the pictured individual I don't think that's what is going on here.

It's extremely unlikely you've found a new species. NC has been extensively sampled for caudates, and there's absolutely no reason you've given why this isn't a known Ambystoma. If you have better pictures I might be able to tell you which one.

Catfishrod--mudpuppies are very cool to keep, definitely.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Axolotls are extremely rare in the USA. To my knowledge, the only places you can find them are in the extreme southernmost portions of arizona, texas, and new mexico. The likelihood that you'll find them even there is dismal.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Axolotls are extremely rare in the USA. To my knowledge, the only places you can find them are in the extreme southernmost portions of arizona, texas, and new mexico. The likelihood that you'll find them even there is dismal.
Axolotls are only native to two lakes found in central Mexico, in particular lakes that were destroyed as Mexico City grew. I highly doubt they would be found in any part of the US other than pet shops.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The reason I think it is an axolotyl is because how I found them. It was in a stagnant part of the creek, very clear, COLD water. They were both sitting in the middle of this "concave half circle thing" in the dead center was this gelatin egg structure with babies, there were also babies swimming around. It was as if it were a male and a female were guarding them. Like a little nursery pond thing lol. I really think that this was the mom and dad and their nest. It was really odd. Here are some better pictures: View attachment 126072 View attachment 126073 View attachment 126074 View attachment 126074 View attachment 126075

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think axolotls protect their eggs so I'd blow that off, can do a search on it to double check. Those you caught might have been older larvae just sitting there, maybe eating those that hatched out from the egg mass you saw. I think you found something interesting though. Should be cool to keep and see what they turn into imo. What county did you find them in? My guess is "Spotted salamander", they are there http://faculty.bsc.edu/mgibbons/spotted salamander egg mass.JPG egg mass look anything like that? btw, see the small dots on the larvae, I forgot to mention that was a reason for my guess, could develop into the bigger spots, the pattern seems close too, and a common salamander there it seems.

Last edited:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It looked similar to that, there maybe for spheres in a tower like structure maybe six inches under water in the dead center of the five structure.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
I'd say some kind of salamander larvae. Geographically wise, you won't see wild axolotls anywhere far from two diminishing mexican lakes. These lakes are waaay too far to any US bordering state. Also technically, axolotls are already critically endangered and even considered "virtually extict" in the wild let alone for it to exist in some american creek

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Axolotls are only native to two lakes found in central Mexico, in particular lakes that were destroyed as Mexico City grew. I highly doubt they would be found in any part of the US other than pet shops.
Oh wow, that sucks. :(

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The reason I think it is an axolotyl is...
due to 3 reasons off the top of my head

A. You are delusional

B. You found them in Mexico

C. You are completely ignoring the scientific fact of where these animals are from (ie Mexico)

I could understand if the answers are A, B or A and B. I cannot understand why answer C would be possible, UNLESS of course you belong to the Flat Earth Society too! ;)

I knew someone that studied them, he never traveled in the USA to find them, "oddly" he had traveled to Mexico.

Be curious to see what they develop into.

Last edited:

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did you find these in North Carolina? If so, I have to wonder why you are asking whether they are the larvae of a relatively common species that lives in North Carolina or a highly endangered species from Mexico. It's kind of like finding a snake in your yard and asking whether it's a garter snake or a king cobra.

Here's a link to a National Geographic map of the axolotl's range:

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/graphic/map-mexican-axolotl-160-cb1273165343.gif

Is that where you found these? If so, there may be some question about whether they are axolotl. If not, they are probably something else.

Last edited: