Molting Question

Lking519

Arachnopeon
I have a question will tarantulas sometimes molt without their abdomens turning dark? I have a Lasiodora Parahybana who has been acting sluggish and putting down alot of web but her abdomen is still pink? Let me know if any of your tarantulas have suprised you with a molt

Medusa

Arachnoknight
My P. regalis sling hid under a web curtain for a couple days and reappeared twice its size! No changes in appearance, appetite prior, etc. My OBT juvie molted much the same way. Oh, and no signs of the sheds, either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kat Graves

Arachnopeon
My 1" Vitalius Paranaensis decided to make herself a large burrow at the bottom of her 16 oz tupperware container about 12 days ago. She fed the day before. She then proceeded to completely close off her burrow, and has not come out since. I can see her through the bottom, but her abdomen has not changed color, so I really don't know why she has locked herself down there. I figured pre-molt at first but she hasn't done it yet. I'm clueless.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantulas nearly always become darker before a moult, it’s the new exoskeleton forming beneath the current one, however its hard to tell with some species, it’s generally more noticable in NWs (especially if they have kicked hairs then you can see the bald patch darkening) *Note: a bakd spot is not a sign of premoult

There are other signs for premoult that can be easier to identify like not eating for a while, making a web mat, sealing themsekves in a burrow, difficulty climbing etc. If you cant tell your T is getting darker then look for these signs. Ts (with the exception of some species, A.geniculata for example) will not eat for a period of time before moulting, i normally use this in determining premoult in my Ts, in conjunction with the other signs mentioned earlier

Lking519

Arachnopeon
False Alarm Turns out she was just mad because I moved around her cage but she eventually found her wooden hide and she was happy again!