Molting Question

Lking519

Arachnopeon
I have a question will tarantulas sometimes molt without their abdomens turning dark? I have a Lasiodora Parahybana who has been acting sluggish and putting down alot of web but her abdomen is still pink? Let me know if any of your tarantulas have suprised you with a molt

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How big is it? Does it have access to water?
I've never known of one to molt without meeting the proper 'conditions'. If it has a bald spot, thus a 'window' to see the color of the abdomen, if it is still pink, then it is not about to molt. The ones who surprise me with a molt are those who are heavily setaed (no bald spot) and molt without preliminary fasting or hiding.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
Chile surprised me, no warnings and even ate a few hours before, no mat and certainly no bald spots. Just up on her side and molted :laugh:

You can see here no bald spot, no mat or anything

after

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A bald spot indicates hair flicking. It does NOT indicate premolt. IF there is a bald spot, it serves as a 'window' that allows you to see if the abdomen is changing color. Many do molt sans fasting, molt mat, etc.

Lking519

Arachnopeon
she has water and her abdomen is huge! she has also been putting down alot of web

Lking519

Arachnopeon
she is about 4.5 inches and I can't get a picture she is in her burrow and it is deep

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Roseas do what roseas do... She could just be having a rosea moment. For a rosea, a 'moment' could last for months. :)

cold blood

Staff member
I have a G. rosea (actually porter, I believe) that never shows pre-molt. For whatever reason I never see a darkening or that shininess that is often so obvious with other t's. Never noticed sluggishness, either, but its not uncommon at all for her to just be still for extended periods of time...and she will fast at anytime, so if I used that as a barometer for pre-molt, she would fool me 90% of the time. I never know till she's on her back....14 years I have yet to be able to predict a single one (she was already an older adult when I acquired her).