Haplopelma Albostriatum vs Chilobrachys Fimbriatus

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Basically, which do you like better, which would you rather have, or which would you never be without? Any experiences with the two or stories regarding their "character" would be great. Anything that might convince me one way or another is welcome. This is just for grins and to tap into the experience of those who are familiar with the two so I might have a clue which might be more appealing to me.:coffee:

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've never owned any of them but looks wise I would say c.fimbriatus.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I got a couple C. fimbriatus 0.5" slings in August '12 and they're now at 4.5 - 5" with room temp around 23°C. They're out basically every night at the exit of their burrow, or even fully wandering around and webbing. They started to show defensiveness at around 2" and they are insanely fast if they want to! Using tongs to prod them is a bad idea as I learned the hard way and since then I only use a straw anymore. For cage maintenance daytime is preferred, they usually stay hidden at that time and you can work in their cage as long as you don't touch the webbing that closes their burrow entrance. They have the venom strength of Poecilotheria spp., are very defensive, bite readily, great eaters, quick growers and simply beautiful. I really love my couple here. Given the chance, they will retreat - but prodding them will usually result in a fast-as-lightning 180° turn and an instant bite (experience, not assumption with mine!) :)

As for Haplos, I can only say I'm personally staying away from them. Just because I don't feel comfy with them and don't want to endanger the animal / me making mistakes *shrugs*. Plus - those are way more petholes from what I gather. The Chilobrachys fimbriatus are out every, single night - unless in premolt PLUS they web the heck out of their enclosures, which looks awesome! Can highly recommend them to those experienced enough with fast, defensive species. I considers these certainly not a beginner species. Neither of them are.

Pic of my male "Ares":

Pic of my female "Hera" (annoyed actually at that time):

PS: Sufficiently annoyed, they stridulate - clear sign to "back off"!

Last edited:

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
What Poec said. They're both awesome spiders and are unique from one another so they make good additions.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I got a couple C. fimbriatus 0.5" slings in August '12 and they're now at 4.5 - 5" with room temp around 23°C. They're out basically every night at the exit of their burrow, or even fully wandering around and webbing. They started to show defensiveness at around 2" and they are insanely fast if they want to! Using tongs to prod them is a bad idea as I learned the hard way and since then I only use a straw anymore. For cage maintenance daytime is preferred, they usually stay hidden at that time and you can work in their cage as long as you don't touch the webbing that closes their burrow entrance. They have the venom strength of Poecilotheria spp., are very defensive, bite readily, great eaters, quick growers and simply beautiful. I really love my couple here. Given the chance, they will retreat - but prodding them will usually result in a fast-as-lightning 180° turn and an instant bite (experience, not assumption with mine!) :)

As for Haplos, I can only say I'm personally staying away from them. Just because I don't feel comfy with them and don't want to endanger the animal / me making mistakes *shrugs*. Plus - those are way more petholes from what I gather. The Chilobrachys fimbriatus are out every, single night - unless in premolt PLUS they web the heck out of their enclosures, which looks awesome! Can highly recommend them to those experienced enough with fast, defensive species. I considers these certainly not a beginner species. Neither of them are.

Pic of my male "Ares":

Pic of my female "Hera" (annoyed actually at that time):

PS: Sufficiently annoyed, they stridulate - clear sign to "back off"!
Thanks Storm, those pics and your description of them kind of seals the deal! They are incredible to look at in pictures. I imagine that observing them when they are out at night is out of this world! That webbing is serious business…what a hard working spider!

---------- Post added 04-19-2014 at 04:51 PM ----------

Both. Why pick just one?
Dang, you are a trouble maker Poec…but I may very well end up with them both. For me, there are "core species" which I do not think I would ever be without and could have hoards of them in my collection, and then other species that I would acquire if the opportunity presented itself or the price was awesome. Then there are those that I have no interest in….yet.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Then there are those that I have no interest in….yet.
Its strange how sometimes you see a T and just not like it at all and then a couple of months or so later you just cant seem to think of getting anything else and then loving it... i recently bought a g rosea and I love it... and it never seemed that nice to me in the past...

But not to hijack your thread... storm did such a good job with the pics etc that I am getting a C Fimbriatus now!!!

Im crazy... and I Love Ts!!!!

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Tlover, don't worry bout hijacking this thread. I figure if we are talking spiders, it is relevant! Yeah, I was thinking I would focus on NW, then I was all about Africans, never cared for Asian species….Now I am researching C. Fimbriatus, C. Schioedtei, and others…..It's hopeless, there are just too many and they are so cool for their diversity. Four or five years from now, I will be one of those guys with 50-400 spiders and my girl will just laugh and shake her head. She likes to mispronounce the latin names just to bust my chops..If you get that C Fimbriatus, you have to post some pictures and keep us updated. Storm gets points for the assist…Hey they should do that under your username when you post…have a section under "posts" that keeps track of the number of spiders you have convinced people to get….like an assist in basketball. Sorry, playoffs started today!

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've kept both species and would say that the general experience of owning them is largely the same... which isn't surprising since they are both tropical S/SE Asian burrowers. They are beautiful, very quick, excellent eaters, fast growing, and stay hidden in their burrows most of the time. Chilobrachys fimbriatus will web a lot more... mine was also quite defensive, but I imagine that probably varies by specimen to some degree.

Keith B

Arachnobaron
Wouldn't jump the gun too fast. Seen some posts of albostriatum pics from members on here and they're jawdropping as well. Going with appearance from pics I've seen, I'd agree with Poec as well lol. You're probably looking at similar attitude and potency, and just deciding what look you like best, and borrower vs. heavy webber, at least that's how I see it. I don't know about you, but I'd get both, and probably will eventually :D

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
I love H.albostriatum. It's like having a rich man's golden knee 'coz of their glossy black appearance that exudes elegance but with a very bad ass gangsta attitude to boot lol

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I'm what's known in police circles as a 'ringleader.' I encourage people to doing things.
he definitely is I don't care much about breeding but I always get three of each species I MIGHT want to breed in the future because of Poe!

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I'm what's known in police circles as a 'ringleader.' I encourage people to doing things.
Haha, or an enabler in other circles! I do appreciate you reminding me that the only real answer is to get em all!

---------- Post added 04-19-2014 at 10:14 PM ----------

I love H.albostriatum. It's like having a rich man's golden knee 'coz of their glossy black appearance that exudes elegance but with a very bad ass gangsta attitude to boot lol
Or a doubly sweet E. Murinus! The H Albostriatum caught my eye cause it looked like a skeleton T but with better skeleton markings and a tiger abdomen! Truthfully, I started this thread cause these two are so dang awesome looking and was hoping one would emerge as a more exciting captive for one reason or another. I should have known that they are both mandatory in my collection. I really appreciate every body straightening me out and making me come to me senses. You guys are good friends…haha.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
C fimbriatus would be my choice. Absolutely underrated in my opinion. Gorgeous and feisty - just how I love them.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
I love the baseball idea!! And as soon as I get it I will post a butload of pics... i still need to take pics of my newly molted ornata!!

Im crazy... and I Love Ts!!!!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
C fimbriatus would be my choice. Absolutely underrated in my opinion. Gorgeous and feisty - just how I love them.
While I can't say I pick my T's because of those traits, I do have to admit that in regards to these it's perfectly alright :D

Lude - gorgeous T - admittedly. I don't know why, I have a hell of a lot of respect for Haplos, yet I'm thinking about certain other T's that basically have the same traits...soo *shrugs*. In the end it comes down to personal preference anyways.

Also bscheidt:

~2.75" - molted at night, I wanted to remove the molt in the morning and immediately got this - exactly how they behave in my experience, hehe:

As for E. murinus...yes, you need one, too!