2 different buying experiences

2bears

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In the last few months I have bought some Ts from 2 different people, and had 2 completely different experiences. One well known and respected guy on the board the Ts were healthy, had been well feed and could tell he cared about them.
The other person a well known broker/breeder the Ts were thin, vials had not been cleaned in a long time.
My point is if we can support the people that truly care about the animals and not support the "flesh peddlers" everyone and the Ts benefit and hopefully the flesh peddlers fade out of the business...

Keith B

Arachnobaron
Unfortunately the "flesh peddlers" you speak of have the money, space, and the resources to pump out the flesh, but the people that care are working on catching up ;)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This is one of the reasons i love dealing with personal hobbyists. There are some great big time dealers out there, and i dont mind dealing with them from time to time. But personally getting to know or talk with the small time hobbyists is rewarding. I would much rather trade with people, than make a killing off of what i produce. The little bit of money i do make goes right back into buying slings, enclosures, cork bark, coco fiber, feeders, or paying my end of shipping on trades.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In the last few months I have bought some Ts from 2 different people, and had 2 completely different experiences. One well known and respected guy on the board the Ts were healthy, had been well feed and could tell he cared about them.
The other person a well known broker/breeder the Ts were thin, vials had not been cleaned in a long time.
My point is if we can support the people that truly care about the animals and not support the "flesh peddlers" everyone and the Ts benefit and hopefully the flesh peddlers fade out of the business...
I HOPE you left a bad review and a good review for each? Especially for the person you are speaking of which was a negative experience. If you didn't, you aren't helping the people who are constantly wondering who is good or not. Not saying anything is not helpful at all, and you are directly contributing to that person to continue to get customers.

Last edited:

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I HOPE you left a bad review and a good review for each? Especially for the person you are speaking of which was a negative experience. If you didn't, you aren't helping the people who are constantly wondering who is good or not. Not saying anything is not helpful at all, and you are directly contributing to that person to continue to get customers.
I think sometimes people are scared to leave negative reviews for well known breeders or sellers... unfortunate, but I understand why.

Kat Graves

Arachnopeon
I think sometimes people are scared to leave negative reviews for well known breeders or sellers... unfortunate, but I understand why.
I understand why as well, but that is the WHOLE reason there are reviews available. I always review my stuff, no matter what site I am on. Helping people get the best experience possible is why we talk to each other in the first place. Feel free to let us know who sucked and why. :)

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
<snip> Feel free to let us know who sucked and why. :)
Yes, definitely. But in the reviews section only, not in here or anywhere else on the site (unless you want to PM or email it to people, that would be fine too). ;)

Debby

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
unfortunate, but I understand why.
I don't understand why at all. What reasons have you in mind as to why they would endorse the negative business practices of such people? Would these same people let a murderer go too, maybe they would?

Last edited:

Keith B

Arachnobaron
I don't understand why at all. What reasons have you in mind as to why they would endorse the negative business practices of such people? Would these same people let a murderer go too, maybe they would?
Probably just a phase with new buyers. Afraid they might put somebody out of business, or possibly if they piss off a vendor, they'll use their influence to organize a no sales front against them or push them out of the hobby. Ridiculous, I know, but new keepers don't know how the hobby works at the beginning. May also feel the vendor tried or put forth effort and failed, so they get a pass for the effort. I was terrified of getting bad reviews for my first shipments, but I did my research and they were fine. So at that time, I might empathize with a vendor if something went wrong. But they have experience doing it, so there's limits to the lee-way you should give.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Holy hyperbole, Batman!

You're assuming a lack of a negative review is "endorsing" poor business practices. It isn't. As for why someone would not want to leave a negative review for a well known breeder? I've see a few review threads (not here) where someone brings to light a negative experience only to be shouted down by other customers who swear by the dealer. Many sites allow this to occur with justification of "what the seller has done for the hobby" or some other tripe that shouldn't wash away when someone messes up and won't acknowledge it. This is where having all pertinent info and evidence is a wonder. You can't dispute fact.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Holy hyperbole, Batman!

You're assuming a lack of a negative review is "endorsing" poor business practices. It isn't. As for why someone would not want to leave a negative review for a well known breeder? I've see a few review threads (not here) where someone brings to light a negative experience only to be shouted down by other customers who swear by the dealer. Many sites allow this to occur with justification of "what the seller has done for the hobby" or some other tripe that shouldn't wash away when someone messes up and won't acknowledge it. This is where having all pertinent info and evidence is a wonder. You can't dispute fact.
I use hyperbole A LOT, it's quite effective for obvious reasons ;)

I'm not assuming anything. In my opinion, a lack of negative review is endorsing poor business practices. We always read in the news "why did Person X, continue to do Z" where Z is something negative, and often the answer is "Because no one spoke up and let others know". Anyway we have differing opinions that's all, that's not the issue.

I understand your example, and can see how some people might be worried or discouraged should they leave a negative response. I was never one who cared what others think in such a context especially from a bunch of people on the internet ganging up in that context...oooo "scary".

If someone is a great philanthropist/humanitarian donating billions, and didn't pay their taxes. They are a law breaker, breaking state and federal law and need to go to prison, case closed.