Keeping Slings

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I'll be receiving some slings from a breeding project soon and I'm not sure how to go about handling all of them. I don't know how many just yet, but I want to be prepared for at least 25+.
First of all I need housing. I definitely like the Thornton plastic vials, but every site I find sells them in bulk of 1000 pieces or more. I definitely won't be needing that many for half of an a. urticans sac. I'm not sure what size to keep 2i slings in either; I'm not familiar with drams. I don't have a huge tarantula collection so feeding them crix legs isn't very practical. I was thinking a small fruit fly colony?
What are you guys' experienced thoughts?

Jquack530

Arachnosquire
Check this site I found out. I haven't ordered, so I don't know if there is a minimum. http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin69a.html

---------- Post added 04-19-2014 at 09:12 PM ----------

But as Scoolman suggested 2 oz. condiment cups work too. You can get a pack of 30 at the evil Wal-Mart for 2-3 bucks.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Condiment cups aren't very great for arboreal slings, though.

Thanks! That's the cheapest I've seen for those vials.

Jquack530

Arachnosquire
Ah. I somehow overlooked that they were for arboreals. Check that link. They have reasonable prices so long as there is no minimums, and they don't kill you with shipping.

---------- Post added 04-19-2014 at 11:11 PM ----------

I checked, and for online orders there are no minimums. I still don't know what the shipping prices are like.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Shipping is like $17 bringing it to about $40. That's still the cheapest I can find including shipping. Then I have to buy the fruit fly colony.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
That or Jamie's is definitely the best. Thank you!

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Spiders 006.jpg

This is how I do it,there's room for 56 vials,and I can hold them with one hand! I also never used fruit flies,simply crush the head of a small cricket,and drop it in and let them scavange feed off of it. I've moved most of those slings in that pic to larger enclosures like these with zero deaths so it should work for you.
Spiders 010.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For containers, try http://www.freundcontainer.com/ I know someone on here who bought them for irminia, unsure on quantity min. if any.

Also, if you go fruit flies, check out Ed's Fly Meat. I met the owner recently at a reptile show in doing research on dart frogs, and I was very impressed. They are the industry leader.

One thing I know about Ed'sFly Meat, is they will ship you exactly what stage of development you want. So if you had Ts or frogs etc, and you didn't want to spend the time actually making the cultures or didn't have the time etc, they will ship you exactly what you need ready to feed for your animals. That might be something to consider. I know it's something I'm going to consider. Plus, I had a good vibe from the owner. I've seen them advertising for almost 20 yrs, but never knew who was the owner, now I do.

I also know they will send them to you on a regular basis, like monthly or whatever the interval can be done I believe, however for Ts I doubt you'd need that. They offer that because their largest customers are zoos, and dart frog hobbyists too.