Breeding question

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a C.fasciatum couple that had previously expressed interest in each other. On their first introduction the female actually initiated courting. She began to from and these followed suit. They hooked up for maybe 30 seconds, no insertions were seen and the separated. It has been nearly a month since their first hook up and the male hasn't even put on weight. According to the breeding reports of this species, they normally drop sacs by this time. I have tried to pair them half a dozen more times and the female shows no interest. The male drums away and for literally HOURS at a time the male will drum in one spot and the female refuses to move. It's becoming very frustrating. Why does she have a sudden change in interest?

Any experienced breeders who want to give me some advice I would really appreciate it. The male is beginning to age and I'm beginning to get frustrated.

Thanks.
-Jake.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I suspect the female might molt soon. If the male is not doing so well, then throw him in and leave him there, but if he is doing fine i would wait for the female to molt. There can be many reasons to why your female is not responsive, but most likely she is going to molt. If she does, check out the climate where she lives, she might need to have a rainy season before mating to stimulate her.

http://www.climate-charts.com/world-index.html

Last edited:

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Hey im not experienced at alll... just wana ask does they female accept food currently? Maybe thats a way to confirm the pre-molt theory? Sorry if its a stupid question but I would also say thats she is in pre molt...

Im crazy... and I Love Ts!!!!

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She is not in premolt. She molted recently. I only pair females who have molted recently.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Okay well then that is good... still doesnt solve your problem... hopefully one of the experienced guys can help...

Im crazy... and I Love Ts!!!!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What you are going through is normal, and frustrating of course. Sometimes a female just wont do the things we want her to. Some females are extremely interested in mating, and seem heartbroken when the male is taken out. Some females are very hard to pair, but with the right male, will give in and let him do his job. It all boils down to the individual. Your female might not be willing to mate, then the next female might be very eager. Its hard to say why your female is acting that way. He might have got in enough sperm the first time, and you are good. But maybe he didnt. You could always introduce the female into the males enclosure, which might entice the male to wander around a little more, and force the female into action. Its really hard to say what is going to work here. For males that dont want to move around, and just sit in place drumming, i like to trick him into moving. I take my paintbrush, and very lightly touch one of his front legs, and he will react thinking its the female. Most of the time he will inch forward. I keep doing this until he is right in front of or touching the female. Once he gets to that point, i wait to see what happens. But it takes practice doing that, you might freak him out, or he might think its food.