P Irmina

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Im sure there have been a few threads already started on this but does anyone have any experience with P. Irminia? I have been doing some sling shopping today and came across this species. I know that they are basically on the borderline between OW and NW but I have a few questions. Are they overly aggressive? What are their care requirements? Also feel free to share personal experience with this species.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im sure there have been a few threads already started on this but does anyone have any experience with P. Irminia?
I have experience searching through the board and learning about the species before I post, including my P irminia. It's amazing what you can learn when you have the power of the internet at your fingertips! Empower yourself and embrace the Google ;)

They are a very fast, defensive/shy NW species. I keep mine like I keep my Avics.

Also, they are VERY photosensitive more than any other species I've owned except my Lvs.

Smaughunter

Arachnopeon
P irminia is a great species, definitely worthwhile to care for in my opinion. They are hardy and do fine with your typical arboreal/arburreal care. They construct tube webs and can be a bit of a pet web, rarely coming out for display. When they do come out they are so striking you forget about all those months you went staring at toes poking out from a web. They are hardy, great eaters, and fast growers. I have found them to be fairly defensive and of course they are very fast. I have never been bitten but my understanding is their venom is considered to be a bit stronger than your average NW but not as potent as an OW.

They are considered a good species to get an experience of old world speed and defensiveness without the potency. I would recommend them, they are beautiful, hardy, and inexpensive.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
They are beautiful spiders. They are fast and can be flighty, especially when they are young. As far as venom potency, you can check the bite reports for any info. As far as I've always heard, their venom is stronger than some of the other old worlds. You have to be very aware when working with them (as with many others). Just know where they are when you open the enclosure and have a catch cup ready. Slings and juvenilles tend to burrow in my experience. I keep them in an arboreal set up , but with plenty of sub also.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
If you have to ask about irminia, and don't know if any of us have it, you're probably not ready for it yet. Fast and short-tempered. What species do you have now?

2bears

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you have read the constructive comments and feel like your ready, then go for it. They are a interesting species to raise up, and work with.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Poec54 I don't mean to sound amateurish. I am capable of keeping agressive T's. I never handle any of my spiders and have reasonably fast reflexes. I am also extremely cautious around my tarantulas regardless of species or size. Also I know that there are people here who keep irmina thats why I posted here.

The most agressive spider I have now is an A. Francki..lol

Thank You all for your help. I just wanted some insight from others.

bigt0006

Arachnosquire
I was bit by my P irminia sling and nothing really happened except a small amount of swelling at the bite was kind of like a bee sting.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

skippydude

Arachnobaron
I was bit by my P irminia sling and nothing really happened except a small amount of swelling at the bite was kind of like a bee sting.

Sounds like a dry bite. P irminia venom has capsaison in it. If it had injected any juice the bite would have burned like fire

TLover007

Arachnosquire

What size was the sling? My p irminia is about 7 - 8cm now and its sssssoooooo agro!!

Im crazy... and I Love Ts!!!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
P irminia venom has capsaison in it.
I'm going to make an educated assumption that when you typed out "capsaison" you meant capsaicin.

Please correct if I'm wrong! If I'm not, your statement I quoted above is completely wrong.

No animal produces capsaicin. It is produced by the genus of plants commonly known as chili pepper plants.

You may look up the rest, if you care to, for better understanding.

Last edited:

bigt0006

Arachnosquire
What size was the sling? My p irminia is about 7 - 8cm now and its sssssoooooo agro!!

Hes probably about half an inch. Hes not very aggressive yet he only bit me because i was trying to get him out to take a pic and he climbed up the tongs and onto my hand where he bit me and ran back into his enclosure

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Also, they are VERY photosensitive more than any other species I've owned except my Lvs.
Yours seriously are? Neither of my girls cares about light really...

I never handle any of my spiders and have reasonably fast reflexes.
Word of advice: If a tarantulas wants to get you, your reflexes will most likely -not- prevent that! You'll have to see them in action to believe it, I guess. :D

Dry bite from the sound of it, or simply so few venom you hardly noticed. Get bitten by an adult and tell us it's no problem. Psalmopoeus spp. venom activates directly the pain sensors, overloading them. Vanillatoxin for example as in P. cambridgei:

"Vanillotoxins (VaTxs, subtypes VaTx1, VaTx2, and VaTx3) are neurotoxins found in the venom of the tarantula Psalmopoeus cambridgei. They act as agonists for the transient receptor potential cation channel subfamily V member 1 (TRPV1), activating the pain sensory system"

(Sidenote: If you got the information about their toxin from this page: https://sites.google.com/site/venomousdangerous/spiders/s-america-s-most-venomous-spiders - that one also states P. pulcher to be one of the most dangerous south-american species...:o_O:)

Put simply: New keepers might judge a bite is nothing to worry and will experience quite the opposite probably :D Just saying :)

Bottom line: It's a NW Tarantula without urticating bristles, but with stronger venom in exchange. And with an attitude problem usually :D

I'm a total irminia fan though! Come on, how can you say NO to these :D:

Last edited:

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Your T is a farmer or in the farming business?

Some slang really doesn't convey a person's thoughts.
Its vert aggressive/defensive... and will bite you for looking at it funny...

Having said that the farmers from where I come from are much the same as my p irminia so understand your confusion...:p

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yours seriously are?
Yes.

How come the other 2 quotes below in your post are attributed to me and I didn't write them? I've seen this happen a lot; I wonder if there's a glitch in the software??

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yes.

How come the other 2 quotes below in your post are attributed to me and I didn't write them? I've seen this happen a lot; I wonder if there's a glitch in the software??
Uhm - no they aren't? Not on my end at least...only the first quote is from your posting.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Uhm - no they aren't? Not on my end at least...only the first quote is from your posting.
That is really really odd. I wonder if that's a Tapatalk issue I will look on my computer then. However I don't think it is, as I've observed this before on my computer too, very very weird!