Removing Fumes from Plastic

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had a couple of new Rubbermaid containers which HAD an odd chemical smell, but the smell is gone thankfully. I've only used glass, KK, and acrylic containers so I've never had an issue with chemical smells.

In any event in searching on Google and the forum here, I came across these 2 methods below. Has anyone used them for any reason, doesn't have to be animal related, and did they work?

1. Use baking soda. Baking soda is another very popular natural absorbent of bad odors. Simply cover the bottom of the plastic container with a layer of baking soda, and pour in warm water. You don’t have to stir them in. Let the baking soda and water sit like that for a few hours. Afterwards, wash the container and dry it thoroughly.

2. Use old newspaper. Make sure that you use newspaper that has blank ink only, and no colored pictures. Fill up the container with crumpled old newspapers, and close the lid. Let it stay like that for about 12 hours. Old newspaper is known to be porous, and it could absorb odors.

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got some deli cups a few weeks ago, and they had an odd smell to them, almost fruity, but it was no doubt some mold release compound.

I washed them with dish soap and water, and rinsed very well after, to make sure no soap residue was left behind. Worked like a charm, no smell anymore.

oooo35980

Arachnosquire
I've never run into this problem with my Ts, however my cigars are a different matter. A lot of cigar folks keep their sticks in "coolidors" since they are cheaper and keep humidity better than actual wooden humidors. The chemical smell is definitely a problem. There are so many methods to get rid of it that it boggles the mind, baking soda, vinegar, baking in the sun, baking in the oven. Most of them work to some degree or another. I've found a wash with mild soap and water, a thorough rinse (If you let the soap sit too long the plastic will absorb it), and a day of airing out, to be the simplest and most effective method. Not to say old newspaper or baking soda won't work, it just isn't necessary.