Home sick; photos of some of my collection (pic heavy)

Mindibun

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I missed three days of work due to illness and I hate just lying around when I'm sick. So, I put what minimal energy I had into maintaining the Ts and photographing them. EVERYONE has been molting! I will tell you right now that some of my Ts are kept in "Kritter Keepers," which has been frowned upon. I do, however, monitor temps and humidity in there and make adjustments when necessary. I believe Kritter Keepers can be appropriate for housing as long as the human puts some thought into the set-up, rather than relying on them as a quick-fix, "throw it in there and you're done" kind of set-up.

Leave me some feedback - I'm home sick and so very bored! :exhausted:

My WC A. chalcodes -- WHY aren't these more popular? They're gorgeous and so handleable.

Mama M. giganteus (Giant Vinegaroon) has dug herself a new chamber. As of today she's completely closed herself in. She's either molting, which she could be due for, or (!!!) double clutching. It's about that time, and she HAS gotten quite girthy as of late! :biggrin:

An adorable photo of one of my four P. imperator (Emperor Scorpion) having a drink. I love how they drink :love:

A view of my GBB enclosure. She finally came out of her molting chamber for food and water. She's been chowing down and drinking plenty. Oh, and I once thought this T was a HE. If I sexed correctly, I'm so so SO pleased to say that I was wrong!! Since the molt, I've labeled her FEMALE! :love:

A view from the side of the GBB enclosure to show depth of substrate and temp/humidity DURING the molt. Humidity is not usually that high.

GBB freshly emerged from her molting chamber. She did web up the entrance ENTIRELY when she was mid-molt, just like I've always heard wild Ts will do when they don't want to be disturbed. When she was finished, she took the door down and came to sit at the entrance. So, to any newbies who are worried about their Ts hiding away or "acting weird," don't worry so much. They know what they need and take care of themselves as long as basic needs are met. :geek:

Lunchbox, the GBB, got herself a cricket and pulled it back into her house!

*** To anyone concerned about the black condiment dish in the GBB cage, it had minimal water in it and was only used while she was molting and not actively seeking water. It has been replaced with a large bottlecap since she emerged. ***

Lastly, I recently ordered 5 of my most wanted tarantulas: Encyocratella olivacea (some obscure baboon tarantula -- what the heck is their "common" name? Something black feathered or gold baboon maybe?) These were 1" slings. Two have successfully molted, but, unfortunately, I lost one due to a bad molt. :( It tried to molt upright and I didn't know as it was holed up in its burrow. I realized what happened when I noticed a bit of mold in the cage and went to investigate it. It's heartbreaking because two have already molted perfectly and so I know it's nothing I've done or not done. It sucks to feel helpless. Not to mention the price tag of these guys...

I would like to post some update photos of the two that molted, but they're happily digesting their latest meal holed up in their burrows. So, instead, here are some photos of their burrows. Before I got these guys I researched for MONTHS on whether they were arboreal or semi-arboreal, and found mostly just a lot of speculation and arguments. So, here is my guys' two cents on the issue. 4 out of 5 of them made burrows ON THE GROUND utilizing leaves and solid anchor points nearby. 1 out of 5 actually made an arboreal web utilizing the side of a "tree trunk" (aka PVC pipe) and wide leaves.

The vertical, arboreal burrow (look inside the tube, under the leaf):

And the drastically more popular semi-arboreal burrow:

And another:

One of the four remaining E. olivacea has made its molting mat right up against the front of the enclosure. I accidentally discovered that this particular T readily drinks from the side of the enclosure when it is misted, so I've made it a point to do so roughly every third day (yes, I know this is also generally frowned upon). He/she has immediately gone to the wall and drunk deeply every time. I'm hoping it molts soon...

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hope you feel better. You got some amazing photos! Your chalcodes and GBB are gorgeous and that shot of your emperor is fantastic.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Your set ups look great to me. I see no problem at all with the kritter keepers. I have a number of them myself.

josh090

Arachnopeon
I'm not one for scorpions, but that picture is amazing. Almost makes me want to get one in the near future! That GBB is absolutely stunning!!

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
You have some very nice T's/setups and good GBB pics, hopefully you feel better soon take care.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Ayye I'm currently staying home because of sickness too. I'm putting my minimal energy in web serfing lol. Nice setups btw and I see we use the same sterilite containers as well. Hope you get better soon it is kinda boring just lying around doing nothing.

Kinkyskink

Arachnopeon
I was sick all last week and I'm still trying to get over it. You gbb is amazingly colored. I have a 2" juvi that still has it's baby colors. I can't wait till it gets it's adult coloration. Definitely one of my favorite species.

auskie

Arachnosquire
Every time I see you talk about lunchbox it makes me laugh. What a great name for a tarantula.