Darker colored abdomen of red rump sling???

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
hello guys , got a tarantula a few days and it look plump and active. All it does it hide in its burrow it doesnt want to eat but the hair on its abdomen started increasing and it's abdomen get darker it like a black berry and its dark spot on its abdomen starts getting covered with teeny tiny hairs and its making thick horizontal lined webs under its burrows. is my tarantula up to something or is he molting soon?

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
It wouldn't be getting more hair on it's abdomen, unless it molted. Maybe you can see the hair better lately for whatever reason. If it's rump is getting black and shiny, it's going to molt soon. It's hard to say about the webbing without being able to see it, but they will web to better detect prey and to know where they are (kind of like track lines because remember they can't see very well). They will also make a thick mat to molt on, and will web a feeding mat as they are eating. If you suspect your baby is premolt, keep it's water dish full if it has one, or if it doesn't just drizzle some water on a portion of the sub now and again. Don't leave a live prey item in with a sling that is about to molt. If she does molt, just leave her be and let her harden for about a week before you offer food. :D

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
It wouldn't be getting more hair on it's abdomen, unless it molted. Maybe you can see the hair better lately for whatever reason. If it's rump is getting black and shiny, it's going to molt soon. It's hard to say about the webbing without being able to see it, but they will web to better detect prey and to know where they are (kind of like track lines because remember they can't see very well). They will also make a thick mat to molt on, and will web a feeding mat as they are eating. If you suspect your baby is premolt, keep it's water dish full if it has one, or if it doesn't just drizzle some water on a portion of the sub now and again. Don't leave a live prey item in with a sling that is about to molt. If she does molt, just leave her be and let her harden for about a week before you offer food. :D
Can i ask what does the feeding mat look like ?? and also how long will it take them to finish one feeding mat? and also can i mist the enclosure instead of drizzling and bowl?

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Feeding mat is just webbing on the substrate. They sometimes will walk in a slow circle while eating and web while they are doing it. You can mist, just don't get water on the t. If you mist, make sure you mist enough to make it count.

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
thnx guys , the shop told me to mist it hehe , anyway how do i know which one his burrow is? he made so many holes in there lol..... how long does it take for it to finish its feeding mat? guys , is it ok to place a small water bowl with water? my sling is just 0.7 inch

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
The dark bald patch is fine if anything it is in premolt. I would give it some pre-killed prey and remove it if it is not eaten within a day. If it is in a container with a clear bottom try looking underneath. I mist the entire enclosure lightly so that the substrate is moist but not damp and avoid misting directly into the holes but a little bit won't hurt. Personally I do not use water bowls with anything less than 2 inches. It is not worth the risk of it spilling in the enclosure in my opinion.

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
Thnx. My little guy i think ate his prekilled roach.... anyway guys one of my slings accidentally fell on the floor while i was feeding it. It suddenly ran and fell i placed him back in the container he seemed fine , digging , and active. Will my T be ok?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added 04-22-2014 at 02:32 PM ----------

Btw no arm was broken

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
How far did it fall? Was it leaking any fluid that you saw? Slings are tougher than people give them credit for but you still need to be very careful. Hopefully the little guy or girl is ok.

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
Around 16 inch from ground. No fluid leaking it was still active and hiding in his burrows. Btw are they on premolt? Heres a few pics:

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Its hard to tell just from pictures if they are in premolt or not alot of the signs are behavioral more than visual. If they are refusing food and have an increasingly darkeing portion of the abdomen than they are likely in or nearing premolt. Also part of it could just be in your head. Like tarantulagirl said they will not grow more hair until a molt. Also If it isn't showing any signs of injury by now than it is more than likely ok. Nice T's they look healthy. Make sure a part of the substrate is moist and that they have enough to burrow etc. Im sure you already know that lol Good luck!

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
They are refusing food but theyre plump. What are the signs of injury?