Critique /Comment needed please

delo

Arachnopeon
Hello T lovers, Well I'm at it again and I need your comments, critiques and suggestions please. Since I live in a small town custom material like vents may be hard to come buy even through the mail so I took it upon myself to make my own since I have every tool known to man except a laser cutter...lol

Anyways here's my prototype I made with spare acrylic...keep in mind I'll be polishing the edges and having the cleanest look possible so ignore minor flaws such as chips and scratches.

Cheers and thanks for your comments.

Vents is 2.5 inches by 1/4 inch

Vent.jpg

side view on vice

side vent.jpg

and just to show you the work cut out for me here's 2 sheets of acrylic cut for my enclosures...lol Oh Boy so much fun!!!!! That's an 8 foot work table in my garage

acrylic.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's difficult for you to get the mail, that's interesting. I lived out in the forest once and we still received mail regularly. Is your mail delivered by plane perhaps? I'm just curious.

As for the craftmanship, to me it looks very good from what I can tell. I drill holes in acrylic instead of using vents. So I may be missing something. However, I think it looks quite good.

delo

Arachnopeon
I've got a box number and most places don't ship to those. There's nothing on ebay and most things from the USA that I found don't ship to Canada unfortunately. Shipping across the pond is too expensive but on the upside I love projects.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks nice good job I to have a work shop helps a bunch when making enclosures :)

josh090

Arachnopeon
They look well crafted, and I myself may try something similar... The price of them, while seeming small, makes it almost cheaper for me to find a method of crafting them myself. Might end up borrowing your idea, or making one similar myself soon. I like that they're clear as well, and acrylic, instead of aluminum.

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
Agreed... well crafted, my friend. Definitely jealous of your upcoming projects. I'm a carpenter by trade, but all my tools live in my truck. Requires a ton of motivation to haul them all out after a day on the job. Lol

delo

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the comments it's appreciated. Should you want to create your own by all means and should you want a tutorial on how I created mine just let me know and I'll post one to follow. The most important point I can't stress out enough is the largest "O" ring must be drilled from a seperate acrylic sheet and not the intended enclosure side. As my build is going I'll keep you posted till the final result.

Cheers

delo

Arachnopeon
I would LOVE to see a tutorial on this!
I will definitely post a tutorial for those interested this weekend, I however do not have a video camera so it will be a step by step instruction with still images. It should be very easy to follow and hopefully all can enjoy making their own.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Just a suggestion, but if you've got the tools to cut cleanly through acrylic, why not instead make holes in the acrylic itself instead of screen? Like the lovely acrylic enclosures you see about.

kevp

Arachnosquire
They look lile quality shop bought items.. Good job.. No critisism needed!

delo

Arachnopeon
Just a suggestion, but if you've got the tools to cut cleanly through acrylic, why not instead make holes in the acrylic itself instead of screen? Like the lovely acrylic enclosures you see about.
Would you be reffering to drilling as an example 20 1/4inch hole on each side and 50 on top? If so I'm not particulary fond of that style as it may make it difficult to take photos with all the holes while taking a picture through a screen is still viable with less distortion. Tha'ts just my opinion however. The ultimate ventilation look I would like to have are the lazer cut grates as you may have seen on the spider room enclosures but I dont have a contact for that style of work nor can I make a DIY for it.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Would you be reffering to drilling as an example 20 1/4inch hole on each side and 50 on top? If so I'm not particulary fond of that style as it may make it difficult to take photos with all the holes while taking a picture through a screen is still viable with less distortion. Tha'ts just my opinion however. The ultimate ventilation look I would like to have are the lazer cut grates as you may have seen on the spider room enclosures but I dont have a contact for that style of work nor can I make a DIY for it.
Yep, that's what I meant. To me, it's more aesthetically pleasing, but to each their own.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I personally dislike screen vents, because they can injure their fangs trying to open it. Well, at least aphonos and brachys will :D

delo

Arachnopeon
Tutorial as promised.....

disclaimer "I'm no professional I just have the knowledge of the tool dangers and proper operation and take no responsibility for damage or injury to yourselves, tools or product"

Hopefully this helps some of you or gives you ideas to modify your own version.

Step 1

secure with clamps onto a backing or open space your acrylic and drill a pilot hole using i smaller diameter drill bit than the hole saw's to avoid damaging the acrylic (cracking, scoring..ect)
step 1.jpg

Step 2

with the hole saw proceed to "cut out" your initial ring. Do not apply lots of pressure or max speed on the drill or even drill in reverse as I've seen in some videos as you don't want to melt the acrylic you want to cut it.
step 2.jpg

Step 3

should you choose you may skip this step for later or entirely as it's not necessary. using a router table and up-lift bit run your edge along side to get a nice clean cut.
step 3.jpg

Step 4

taking your initial vent hole size (the hole you'll drill into the enclosure) use that hole saw size and clamp your piece to drill and create a ring. Always use the same "pilot hole" for each cut to ensure a perfect ring.
step 4.jpg

delo

Arachnopeon
Step 5

the end result should look as such
step 5.jpg

Step 6

if your hole saw is dull or you've added to much pressure melting the acrylic no worries it can always be fixed using a router table or 320/400 grit sandpaper.
step 6.jpg

Step 7

here's a picture if you use a sharp hole saw blade and the proper technique....no sanding or router required
step 7.jpg

Step 8

repeat step 4 with a smaller hole saw size to create 2 rings
step 8.jpg

delo

Arachnopeon
Step 9

Time for flame polishing.....I use MAP Gas and have heard not to use propane but since I don'thave a propane torch i can't test the theory that propane doesn't burn hot enough...sorry.
step 9.jpg

Step 10

keep the flame approximately 2 inches from the acrylic and run it along the edge till you see a shimmer. DO NOT leave the flame on the acrylic for too long as it WILL catch fire!
step 10.jpg
step 10 5.jpg

Step 11

repeat step 10 for both rings
step 11.jpg

delo

Arachnopeon
Step 12

Cut screen piece able to surpass largest ring as you'll need a little extra mesh and place on top of largest ring. Place inner ring on top of the screen and press down.
step 12.jpg

Step 13

Maintain pressure on the screen take hot glue gun with clear glue stick and run along inner edge to fill the gap and glues the screen in place.
step 13.jpg

Step 14/15

once glue has cooled "30sec ish" using scissors trim the screen along the edge and fold in whats left into the glue to avoid sharp edges. Run glue gun once again around the screen to create a barrier and ensure the screen is fully covered.....be precise!!! If not you may run the risk of having a poor little T injure themselves on a sharp edge you DIDN'T cover.
step 14.jpg
step 15.jpg