Brachypelma annitha or Brachypelma Cross-Breed?

tony119

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys, just got this species yesterday, sold to me as Brachypelma annitha.
On the first look, this one surely likes a Brachypelma annitha, especially on the carapace.
But upon closer look and ID'ing this to my friends, they told me that this looks like a Crossbreed.

Full body image of the species (4 inch DLS, Female):
IMG_357782084851160.jpg

Carapace (I'm 99% sure that this carapace is the same as annitha's):
IMG_357785109969160.jpg

Legs (Notice the marking compared to B.annitha's as referred below):
IMG_357787736644775.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
I am no expert but I am excellent at those "spot the difference" games and they do not look like the same species

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
I always thought B. annitha had a triangular mask like found on the carapace of B. emilia. I don't trust pics on a google search, I heard a rumor few years back of B. smithi being sold as B. annitha just so scammers can make a bigger buck. Your T does, IMO, look like a cross, just by looking at the incomplete orange shades going down the legs. I have seen hybrid Brachypelma before and they all had orange patterning "fade" into the black instead of a stark contrast between colors.

-JohnD.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm gonna take a guess and say its a hybrid between an annitha and a boehmei.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have noticed that there is quite a bit of hybrid spiders coming up lately and the Brachypelma genus is one of them. Brachypelma annitha has not been sold in the states for years. Now just because I say this it does not mean that yours may not be a Brachypelma annitha, but it is in question cause of the hybrids that I have come across and heard of this genus.

Jose

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have seen hybrid Brachypelma before and they all had orange patterning "fade" into the black instead of a stark contrast between colors.

-JohnD.

I can only tell emilia, smith and boehmei apart. I've never seen hybrids of the Mexican species. SO, do all hybrids out these Mexican species have a blurring of the color, and do all species have sharp borders between black/orange. By "all" I mean generally, I'm sure there might be SOME exception in the universe, I'm not concerned about those.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm gonna take a guess and say its a hybrid between an annitha and a boehmei.
I wouldn't say boehmei because of the fact that an annitha's mask should get LIGHTER and not darker and more covering if it was with a boehmei. boehmei doesn't really have a dark marking on it's carapace.

your tarantula does looks a little off, and I would recommend that you do not breed or trade it with someone because it could be a hybrid.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Shame if it is a hybrid but still a very gorgeous and unique spider, so cherish him/her while you can.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
I can only tell emilia, smith and boehmei apart. I've never seen hybrids of the Mexican species. SO, do all hybrids out these Mexican species have a blurring of the color, and do all species have sharp borders between black/orange. By "all" I mean generally, I'm sure there might be SOME exception in the universe, I'm not concerned about those.
That's what I hypothesize. I have YET to have seen a genuine member of the genus with colors "fighting to show" along the legs, the colors on the carapace is a different story. Some have argued with me in the past about their B. baumgarteni showing faded black markings along their T's legs but their T's have always been a captive born while I based my argument on photos of wild specimens.

-JohnD

Last edited:

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't say boehmei because of the fact that an annitha's mask should get LIGHTER and not darker and more covering if it was with a boehmei. boehmei doesn't really have a dark marking on it's carapace.
I don't think hybridizing is like "Hey, I like the blue of this species and the red of this species. If I mix them I'll get a blue and red species and it'll look awesome."

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think hybridizing is like "Hey, I like the blue of this species and the red of this species. If I mix them I'll get a blue and red species and it'll look awesome."
For botany it seems to be that way, and sadly for snakes it is too with certain nameless "breeders" PM if you want details, but I digress

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Look on page 58 of the Brachypelma pics it looks alot like yours with the white hairs , that last pic you have doesnt look like annitha on page 58 to me its annitha you have

tony119

Arachnopeon
Look on page 58 of the Brachypelma pics it looks alot like yours with the white hairs , that last pic you have doesnt look like annitha on page 58 to me its annitha you have
can you redirect me to this page please. thanks.

tony119

Arachnopeon
B. annitha's legs on that page is different from mine. theirs is more darker black and you can see the division of orange to black. Although, the carapace looks like a lot more like mine.
I can see mine as carapace of B.annitha and much more brighter colored legs of B.baumgarteni. I already suspecting mine as a cross-breed.

Any opinion more opinion anyone?

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
tony119,
I'm curious, are the hairs white in person? It looks like the effects of a camera flash to me.

-JohnD.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe yours younger than on page 58 might be the difference but there is always that possibility of hybrid might pm nada he should know