Whats with Brachypelma emilias?

auskie

Arachnosquire
Why are Brachypelma emilias so hard to come by? The few times I have seen them they're much more expensive than similar species. How many of you actually own an emilia?

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont personally have one, just because I hate spiders with slow growth rates, but here in Europe they're very easy to come by. But AF's are very rare. There's just slings over here.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why are Brachypelma emilias so hard to come by? The few times I have seen them they're much more expensive than similar species. How many of you actually own an emilia?
I have a female :) I think, and maybe I'm wrong, among Brachy enthusiasts they are popular but outside of that group perhaps less popular and certainly less well known. Smithi still remains the most recognizable T both in and outside the hobby. Smithi is certainly the ambassador of all Ts to those outside the hobby. Its image is ubiquitous, I can't say that for any other T.

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a small group of them that were born in 2007... and they're still only about 3.5" or less! They're very slow growing, so probably not sold as often as other species. Although, I'm not sure if they're difficult to breed. If they're not too difficult, folks should definitely be breeding and getting more into the hobby.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Like many species, their popularity and availability wax and wane. And not necessarily simultaneously. I got 5 slings a few years ago for about $25 each. They ended up being 4.1. A couple of the males have matured. I still have the now approximately 4.5" female. I'd consider their growth rate to be "moderate Brachy". Not as fast as vagans, not as slow as schroederi. Gorgeous spiders with individual "personalities".

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I've got a MM, MF and a sling. I don't find them to be to hard to come by. They are a beautiful species.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

CrystalRose

Arachnopeon
I have a female. I found mine on craigslist though. I haven't seen them for sale at a lot of places but I have seen them a few times. I know of at least one place that has them right now.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Yes! I do have Igen! Hmmm I'm terrible at guessing sizes. I'll try to measure him soon. He is much more beautiful than my female. That orange is SO bright. He's the bee's knees. :D

auskie

Arachnosquire
I have a small group of them that were born in 2007... and they're still only about 3.5" or less! They're very slow growing, so probably not sold as often as other species. Although, I'm not sure if they're difficult to breed. If they're not too difficult, folks should definitely be breeding and getting more into the hobby.
I knew they were slow growing but that's outrageous. Three inches in seven years? Just wow.

RoseK

Arachnosquire
I have a MM, MF, and subadult female. The male is a real character. I don't know how common MMs are in Canada, but as soon as Jack (short for Jack O' Lantern) matured, I was deluged with breeding loan requests. I just got him back after he mated seven females!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I knew they were slow growing but that's outrageous. Three inches in seven years? Just wow.
Significantly slower than my female. However, it depends on temps, frequency of feeding, size of meal. W/out knowing said information, one cannot accurately say its growth rate is slow/abnormal relative to others.

Last edited:

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I have a 3-4" male. I love him. Got him at a small local reptile and invert show in Maryland. He's been a bit of a slow grower. I find the brachys are worth the wait. So beautiful and so gentle. We have 23 and he is my absolute favorite.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

jecraque

Arachnobaron
I have two, both 2.5"-ish boys, raised from slings. I keep a lot of Brachys and mine are both good eaters so I haven't noticed them growing excruciatingly slowly (that's my Euathlus/Aphonopelma spp.)...

RoseK, glad to know there may be some demand when my guys mature. Goodness knows I can't afford a 3" female to mate them with!

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the b Emilia and b smithi are readily available from just about every dealer/breeder in the UK almost all year round its some of the other brachys like vagans verdezi etc that are sometimes hit and miss over here. I personally own a juvenile B Emilia it was the 1st t I got this time around plus it only cost £20 ($35)