just out of curiosity

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey all just out of curiosity what is it that determines your next t purchase? Is it size colour rarity ease of care price? For me personally this time around I wanted species id not owned before also a deciding factor was size and the fact I acquired gps (grammostola pulchra sydrome) as in I definitely want 1 of those. Then came rarity as in grammostola anthracina and aphonopelma serratum (dont see too many of those in the UK) but recently the whole size thing went out of the window when just over a week ago I purchased a beautiful euathlas sp red sub adult so now im lost as to what helps me decide on my t purchases lol

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Whether or not I need it and/or plan to breed it. Anything outside of that is pure impulse based on how cute/nicely priced it is.

Hypnotic

Arachnopeon
Size (I actually love the smaller kinds), colour & look. Currently orderd 2 Stasimopus robertsi's (black), while most people find them boring, I actually enjoy watching them drag prey into the hole, never gets old for me.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I'd wager for most, it's availability. That's where the Wishlist comes in. You have a list, in some kind of order that suits you, then grab em up when you see them for: a good price/from a reputable source/while in a position to acquire a new one/willingness to throw any of < those things away cuz omg they have one!/etc.

"Oh look! They have my numbers Two, Four and Five!! Good prices too!"

SpiderMan1975

Arachnopeon
For me it's all about what my local T guy has for sale. There's a decent size expo every two weeks close to where I live. Being new to the hobby there's so many I don't have. I find myself getting a few every time I go. You can't beat how cheap you can buy slings for. I try and get multiples when I can.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
I go for price, availability and rarity. I only get sub-adult/adult females so that would already classify it under the 3.5"-5" average size. Keeps my addiction in check as well

awiec

Arachnoprince
I usually look around and find something that fits my fancy, I then look into if I can provide it with the right care and where can I get it. Another thing I will do is substituting, I have not been able to find a P.ultramarinus locally so instead I got an P. sp Purple, I also can't care for a T.stirmi just yet so I got a P.platyomma to fill my need for a large terrestrial. Also I look for if it adds something unique to my collection, currently I am eyeing some of the Australian species since I do not have one from that region of the world yet. Price usually is not too big of a deal for me as I usually go for slings, but if its above $50 I plan a little more strategically as I need to save and buy it at the right time.

Kinkyskink

Arachnopeon
Attractiveness, ease of care and cost. If I find something that catches my eye then I research the other two before deciding. I'm still new to this so I like easy to care for and interesting spiders within a set price range.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looks, Price, ease of keeping - which reminds me I still need to complete my Psalm collection..hmm.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spur of the moment. Only my first four were planned - and out of those four, my A.versi had it this way: "Okay, I'm just going to buy three. The arboreal draws the shorts straw, I guess." *proceeds to see the said spider 'live'* "OKAY, give me the versicolor as well!"

The rest were impulse buys.

Actually, five of them were a part of trade, my MM G.pulchripes for a bunch of various babies, of which one died, sadly.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
For me it's mostly, availability of sp/not owned before and impulse buys from price and species, usually get slings/Juvies if available (females) if not then unsexed, colours don't always persuade me to buy depends on the sp but if not owned then i may buy it, not including enclosures/setups that's always provided beforehand or i'll buy whats needed before buying any T's.

josh090

Arachnopeon
For myself its usually looks, price, then temperament. This is not to say that temperament isn't important, but if the appearance and price is right, temperament may not be a huge issue. Hence my H. Maculata slings. However if the price is high, then temperament definitely is a massive part of deciding whether or not I purchase. I don't want a beautiful looking T that I paid good money for, but can't open the cage and peak, or turns out to be a pet hole... But that's just me :) A pet hole is great if its a reasonably priced, beautiful T.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
My collection is not nearly as large as some of the other people on this board so when I but its mostly because its always something that I haven't had before and also for looks....

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I have no plan. Usually peruse these forums, hear of and/or see a photo and follow a discussion. Then I do some research, see if one of my fave suppliers has an affordable option. I have A. versi and E. truculentus coming this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
usually it is something that means something or is just really notable for something. like C. Darlingi because of its horn, or A. Hentzi because of how absolutely chill it is. things like that.

Yentlequible

Arachnoknight
Most of my new purchases are all impulse buys. I constantly browse the classifieds, and if I see a good deal, then I snatch it up. After that, I try to find species that are more rare and females.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
Size, I enjoy watching them grow I usually get my slings at 1/4. Over all appeal and ease of care is second, colours come third but usually catches my eye first. adult size and what i can provide for is priority obviously.venom is a consideration

Mindibun

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For me its care requirements and then personality and then color. I dont want anything I dont enjoy looking at but if it requires too much care then I'm not interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Well this is a nice question... I always bought willy nilly if i liked it I bought it... but recently i have started buying more with breeding in mind... if i know i have a male or female i will search for the other sex or will buy a few sling to make sure i got what i wanted...

Im crazy... and I Love Ts!!!!