wild snake to captivity

mattman

Arachnosquire
I'm looking for a cheap cbs snake they are expensive so could I find a baby black snake and raise it and or catch a juvenile would it get used to it

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Im unsure of what you mean by black snake.. Do you mean a black racer? Or black rat snake?

In the case that it's a racer, you've got a long road ahead of you if you're going to keep a wild caught snake.

You must gain the snake's trust, and racers are pretty much hell on it's belly. For the first few weeks (or months), do NOT handle the snake.

Just leave it alone. Every day spend more time near the tank. If he comes out to look at you, dont handle him. It took me a couple of years to tame a coachwhip i kept a couple of decades ago. Eventually it mellowed out, and became handle-able. never grasp at the snake. offer your hand every once in a while a few feet away, let it come to you and smell you. It sounds simple, but this process can take a long time. This doesnt always work, either. Some wont let go of the fact that you took them from their home.

With black rat snakes, and kingsnakes, it's significantly easier.. They tend to tame down quickly. They arent jumpy or bitey like racers.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Short answer, yes. Realistic answer, it depends. The question is not can you, but should you. In my experience those that have to ask probably shouldn't. I'm not saying you'd be a bad caregiver but there are lots of other things to consider. Would you be able to capture one safely? Are you familiar with the various species in your area enough to be able to tell the difference between a venomous species and a non-venomous species? I think the biggest thing to consider is the animal itself. Some accept captivity quite well but others do not. This is true even in individuals of the same species. Keeping an animal is not something to be taken lightly. Taking an animal from it's home and keeping it locked in an enclosure can cause stress and being able to see the signs of this stress is something that can take a very long time to learn. Another thing is parasites and/or diseases that might cause trouble later. There are plenty of species that are captive bred and can be gotten cheaply enough. I would recommend sticking to just captive bred. In my opinion, and that's all it is is opinion, you should stick to captive bred. Stick to healthy animals bred by reliable breeders and you will not be sorry.

One other thing, research any animal you plan on getting until you know everything there is to know about that animal. There is no such thing as too much research but if you ask me, unless you've read everything you can find until you can recite it backwards and forwards, you haven't learned enough yet. Just my two cents.