Fat mites in t's enclosure!!

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
hello guys there are mites which are has fat belly and moves as fast as a ant marching , they seem to be feeding on the mealworm head which i forgot to removed. Will it harm my T's and will my T's also eat them?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
if they're larger than 2mm in body length, and red, they're likely larval velvet mites, which are predatory as adults, and parasitic as larvae. They also have two rest-stages, an oddity amongst arthropods. (rest stages are akin to pupal stages)

You definitely dont want them in a T enclosure, because they can kill.

Trombiculid (velvet mites), will attach on the joints, and other soft parts of a spider, and can be mistaken for harmless phoretic mites which are mere hitch-hikers.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/729496

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
if they're larger than 2mm in body length, and red, they're likely larval velvet mites, which are predatory as adults, and parasitic as larvae. They also have two rest-stages, an oddity amongst arthropods. (rest stages are akin to pupal stages)

You definitely dont want them in a T enclosure, because they can kill.

Trombiculid (velvet mites), will attach on the joints, and other soft parts of a spider, and can be mistaken for harmless phoretic mites which are mere hitch-hikers.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/729496
They dont look like velvet mites its not literally red its like a grain mite but fatter abdomen and it walks faster. is this safe? i also have these in my springtail culture

---------- Post added 04-24-2014 at 02:41 AM ----------

i got a picture!!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61718568@N06/13990318021/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/61718568@N06/13993497475/
Are these mites harmful? i frozed the mite and zoomed this in because its very small like the grain mites and its hard to take a photo because it keeps running.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
When you say will it do you mean the mite? No idea if so mate as it's not really been identified. Me personally though I don't want any mites in my enclosures so I sort it out asap.

If you mean destroying the web that won't hurt the T, slightly inconvenient but tough tits has to be done sometimes for maintenance.

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
When you say will it do you mean the mite? No idea if so mate as it's not really been identified. Me personally though I don't want any mites in my enclosures so I sort it out asap.

If you mean destroying the web that won't hurt the T, slightly inconvenient but tough tits has to be done sometimes for maintenance.
the mite is a grain mite they were eating the prekilled stuffs. Anyway the pet store told me that they eat chopped mealworm is this real?

Kat Fenix

Arachnosquire
the mite is a grain mite they were eating the prekilled stuffs. Anyway the pet store told me that they eat chopped mealworm is this real?
Do you clean out the T's enclosure at all? Sounds like they were there and eating left over food for a few days at least.

Take information you get from pet stores with a grain of salt. Always double check their info because honestly, a lot of employees I have met couldn't even identify a G. rosea and think tarantulas can be defanged so they can't bite.

Just remove uneaten food and the bolus every time you feed it and remove them asap and you shouldn't really have a problem with grain mites if you've rinsed the enclosure/decorations with very hot water and gave new substrate. They are more of an obnoxious pest than anything, ugh.

But if your T seems to be covered in them, and suffering or acting strangely, then it may not be grain mites. I honestly can't tell what they are from the photos.

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
Do you clean out the T's enclosure at all? Sounds like they were there and eating left over food for a few days at least.

Take information you get from pet stores with a grain of salt. Always double check their info because honestly, a lot of employees I have met couldn't even identify a G. rosea and think tarantulas can be defanged so they can't bite.

Just remove uneaten food and the bolus every time you feed it and remove them asap and you shouldn't really have a problem with grain mites if you've rinsed the enclosure/decorations with very hot water and gave new substrate. They are more of an obnoxious pest than anything, ugh.

But if your T seems to be covered in them, and suffering or acting strangely, then it may not be grain mites. I honestly can't tell what they are from the photos.
Hello , i changed the substrate of my t's and now theyre doing fine no more mites!!

netr

Arachnoknight
It sounds like you are new to this hobby, so I strongly recommend this website, which is the product of expert keepers and contains a great deal of good advice.