Breeding P. Regalis

benjii

Arachnopeon
Is it normal that the male goes around tapping, gets the female to come out of her hide, and once she taps back and comes close to him, he bails, is that normal? They have now been togheter for 6 days, and how can i know if anything has happen while I sleep or at work?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yes, they have a longer courtship that most other genera, it goes on 20 or 30 minutes. He's already mated with her on the first night. There's no reason to leave him in for more than one night, as he can get killed, or once in a while a male will kill the female. If he gets killed, and she sheds (a common occurrence), then he's not around to re-mate with her, and you don't get an egg sac.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
I think if one of my males eats my female while i was trying to mate i would pull out a few of my hairs in sensitive places (if you know what i mean) just to make sure im not caught up in some insanely scary nightmare...

Im crazy... and I Love Ts!!!!

loganhopeless

Arachnosquire
I think if one of my males eats my female while i was trying to mate i would pull out a few of my hairs in sensitive places (if you know what i mean) just to make sure im not caught up in some insanely scary nightmare...

More like the females eating the males. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benjii

Arachnopeon
Okey, thanks. Ill take him out and hope they actully did it while I wasnt watching the first night :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
More like the females eating the males. Lol
Right, that's what usually happens, but a guy posted here last year that he left a couple regalis paired up for weeks, and that the male killed the female. It can happen.

---------- Post added 04-24-2014 at 12:40 PM ----------

Okey, thanks. Ill take him out and hope they actully did it while I wasnt watching the first night :)
If they're both tapping, they'll mate. You have two horny spiders in a confined space, in the dark; something's going to happen before morning. It's like teenage humans.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Right, that's what usually happens, but a guy posted here last year that he left a couple regalis paired up for weeks, and that the male killed the female. It can happen.

If they're both tapping, they'll mate. You have two horny spiders in a confined space, in the dark; something's going to happen before morning. It's like teenage humans.
Im not a teenager and I would Tap that :p

How long would you say should he wait to try pairing them again if he sees the female is not gravid...

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Hey Poec54, quick question and observation for you.
I hardly ever leave the male overnight and usually watch them mate. This is usually within 15-25 min. I have found that the male is much more keen on mating if he is outside of the enclosure. I have had great success in doing it this way. You ever tried letting them mate outside of the enclosure?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
How long would you say should he wait to try pairing them again if he sees the female is not gravid.
I'd give it a few days to a week to re-pair. I almost never re-pair any of mine, Poecs included.

---------- Post added 04-24-2014 at 04:48 PM ----------

I hardly ever leave the male overnight and usually watch them mate. This is usually within 15-25 min. I have found that the male is much more keen on mating if he is outside of the enclosure. I have had great success in doing it this way. You ever tried letting them mate outside of the enclosure?
I've never made it through the courtship and once I see both are receptive, I leave. It goes on too long to keep my attention. Never seen a Poec insertion, even though I've done over 30 pairings in the past year.

I pair up Poecs in the female's cage which is a 27 qt clear plastic storage box. That's enough room for all the courtship chasing. I tried a P. vittata in a Exo-Terra rectangle tank with a screen top. It was a friend's female, and I thought the cage was a little tight for working with an adult Poec (seemed like half the space of my 27 qt boxes). I put male #1 in and she killed him in a couple minutes (and ate him). Put male #2 and waited until I saw both courting, and left him in. Figured it would go smoothly. She was seen eating him an hour later. Tried male #3, but put the female's cage inside a large 66 qt plastic box and took the lid off the Exo-Terra. They both courted and had much more room to move around. He was alive the next morning and I took him out. Several months later she molted, without laying a sac.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, well if people are worried about leaving males in overnight, I would definately recommend trying to mate them with the lid of the females enclosure open and letting the male encourage the female to climb out of her enclosure. I usually get an insertion within 2 min of the male pulling the female out.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I often do the same thing Poec54, putting the female's enclosure in a huge plastic sterlite type container, and usually the male's enclosure also. I take the lids off and if it goes on too long, I just put the lid on the large container. I feel like the male has more room to run, and maybe if he lures her out, she won't be as likely to eat him if she isn't in her home.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Wow lots to think about now thanx for the advice guys... and poec thats just damn unlucky... 2 males dead 3rd one not killed but she molted... thats sssooo unlucky!!!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Wow lots to think about now thanx for the advice guys... and poec thats just damn unlucky... 2 males dead 3rd one not killed but she molted... thats sssooo unlucky!
And they'll be sacs you get few, if any, viable slings from. That's why I like to have several feamles of each species I really want to breed. Some won't lay sacs, some sacs go bad, and I don't want to burn out a single female by breeding her evey year.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
And they'll be sacs you get few, if any, viable slings from. That's why I like to have several feamles of each species I really want to breed. Some won't lay sacs, some sacs go bad, and I don't want to burn out a single female by breeding her evey year.
Listen dont play tricks on me I can see what you are doing... you just trying to convince me to get more Ts!! Well let me just tell you something... its working... damn gota call my dealer now AGAIN!!!