This hobby is getting dangerous!

Fishcrunch

Arachnosquire
So I'm a college student who has come to realization a few months ago that I can easily hide numerous tarantulas in my dorm room due to their space requirements as slings. One thing that I have noticed is that every time I buy a sling, I HAVE TO buy another one a couple weeks later. It's bad enough that I have to buy food in order to sustain myself over the weekend, now i'm dropping 30-50 bucks every 3 or so weeks on another tarantula! Sorry if the title seems a little misleading :biggrin:. As you can see my collection has grown to a modest 9 arachnids. I'm assuming everyone else on here has the same problem as myself?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
So I'm a college student who has come to realization a few months ago that I can easily hide numerous tarantulas in my dorm room due to their space requirements as slings. One thing that I have noticed is that every time I buy a sling, I HAVE TO buy another one a couple weeks later. It's bad enough that I have to buy food in order to sustain myself over the weekend, now i'm dropping 30-50 bucks every 3 or so weeks on another tarantula! Sorry if the title seems a little misleading :biggrin:. As you can see my collection has grown to a modest 9 arachnids. I'm assuming everyone else on here has the same problem as myself?
Until you start breeding. Then you can get new spiders by selling and/or trading the slings you produce, so there's a point at which the more spiders you have, the less it costs. A number of people have collections that pay for themselves. Pays to focus and have goals.

pardozer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yessir! I've bought 24 so far this year to bring my modest collection to 74.

oooo35980

Arachnosquire
I know what you mean, just remember slings grow, some of them grow quickly. You could end up needing more room than you might think, sooner than you think. Good luck, it's a rewarding hobby.

Fishcrunch

Arachnosquire
I do plan on breeding T's at some point, i'm just trying to plan out how much space i'll have in the future when some of my other hobbies come into fruition, primarily monster-sized fish and perhaps a few reptiles thrown into the mix. But apart from all of that T's are so easy to care for and hold so much diversity that I don't plan on stopping at 9. Honestly they kinda feel like trading cards.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Lol i know exactly what you mean, i used to buy T's every few days or couple a week, in my largest collection had over 800+ T's, mostly slings/Juvies some adults (had alot of space), accumulated from breeding projects/ 50/50 lones depending on availability of species/dealers price, as poec54 said it can pay for itself and (very handsomely) in some cases, but takes years to find the perfect market/people who want to buy/traid, that said i've got a small collection just now (moved area/home) so sold them all :-( ,sounds like you love T's and thats brilliant cause it's super addictive :-D

Edit, sold my larger collection to move home but now have a small T collection after moving home etc. just clarifying lol.

Last edited:

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
I'm right there with you... I'm currently housing 4 Ts in my dorm room, and will have 7 total at the end of this week. My suite mates don't even know.... Although the other day I heard one yelling about how there was a spider in her room and she needed to have someone come kill it for her... Probably a good thing that they don't know :p

Gibson211

Arachnosquire
Feels like I never NOT have some T's in the mail. I've sold all my old hobby items just so I could buy more T's/other bugs! Such an addicting hobby!

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
I have times where I am not overly interested in buying any more for the time being and times where I want to buy a new one every week lol
Alot of the excitement in the hobby is knowing you have some new T's coming!

Last edited:

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm right there with you... I'm currently housing 4 Ts in my dorm room, and will have 7 total at the end of this week. My suite mates don't even know.... Although the other day I heard one yelling about how there was a spider in her room and she needed to have someone come kill it for her... Probably a good thing that they don't know :p
be careful wih that. You don't want anything bad happening to the poor things if they find out.

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
be careful wih that. You don't want anything bad happening to the poor things if they find out.
No worries, I always keep my door locked when I'm not home, and only do rehousing when they aren't home. And to be frank, they're pretty dull and not likely to realize what was going in my room even if they saw me filling water dishes, soaking substrate cubes, walking home with bags of crickets, etc....

bigt0006

Arachnosquire
I make myself broke between my Ts and herps. Herps cost me more to feed(well my snakes atleast). Ive been keeping Ts for 4 months and i have a total of 13 Ts and 4 of those are OW Ts. I used to keep fish had 5 tanks set up i got a rid of all those and got into herps then Ts. Think ill be staying with the herps and Ts fish where not gratifieing enough

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Your dorm room must be bigger than mine was. Mine allowed me to fit my body and a twin bed.