My new pink toe tarantula

Wubong

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, i'm new to this hobby and really am starting to enjoy it. I have not yet held my tarantula as I am still getting used to it.
My question is if this is a good enough tank/stuff in it for it. I keep the tempature of it room temp, and humidity around 60-70%. I do have a rain forest background that i'm putting on later, but for now just curios as to of I have everything needed.
That pic makes the tank a litter darker but it really isnt that dark, I have a heat lamp but it gets it to about 86 and I heard that frys the spider. I will take all constructive critisim. Sorry for my english.

---------- Post added 04-24-2014 at 05:28 PM ----------

I should also say that the substrate is damp, and since the spider is tropical, I assume it is used to it.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would recommend using a taller tank since you're keeping an arboreal. Avics will often make a web in the upper corner of the enclosure, so its usually a good idea to get a tank that opens up from the front. Also get rid of the heat lamp. Tarantulas hate light, it will only stress it out. Also despite what many caresheets may say, Avics don't need damp substrate or lots of humidity. Just give it a full waterdish and don't bother with misting.

from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

cold blood

Staff member
I wouldn't put an avic in an aquarium. The only ventilation is from the top, which seems mostly covered. The avics need good side ventilation, they live in trees with constant breezes. Don't overdue the humidity.

Like mentioned, you don't need to add supplemental heating, especially not with a heat lamp. And vertical space is more important than horizontal space. I have seen many that set an aquarium like yours on its side, dam the base and use it resting on its side.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Like BobGrill said the substrate does not need to be damp. You don't want it to get stuffy in there. I like to keep it a bit humid mist a little bit every few days or so butthe substrate should not be damp. Slightly moist is ok but damp is too much. Your setup looks nice! But if you are going to start collecting there are cheaper alternatives. Welcome to the hobby!!!

Wubong

Arachnopeon
Could you give me some websites to buy cool decors and stuff for spiders?

---------- Post added 04-24-2014 at 06:28 PM ----------

I would recommend using a taller tank since you're keeping an arboreal. Avics will often make a web in the upper corner of the enclosure, so its usually a good idea to get a tank that opens up from the front. Also get rid of the heat lamp. Tarantulas hate light, it will only stress it out. Also despite what many caresheets may say, Avics don't need damp substrate or lots of humidity. Just give it a full waterdish and don't bother with misting.

from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Oh, and by the way. If I put it on it's side that won't work because my lid slides off, the substrate would fall right out.

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
Everyone's suggestions are great, but I'd like to add that you probably shouldn't put it next to the window. Like Bob mentioned, tarantulas hate light and direct light (coming through a window) can kill them.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How big is your Avic? You might want to check out this site for ideal enclosures for arboreals. If it's under 4", this would probably be perfect! It's a good deal, and comes with everything you need.

Wubong

Arachnopeon
Idk how big, maybe 2-3? Here is a pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cold blood

Staff member
tarantulas hate light and direct light (coming through a window) can kill them.
Some are sensitive to it (P. metallica/P. muticus come to mind), but direct light doesn't kill t's...you are thinking of vampires possibly? All my t's get sunlight to varying degrees, light encourages burrowing and usage of hides if it gets too bright for them. My B. smithi and rosea both stay out in the sun quite often, the smithi especially as it gets a bit larger. The rosea never uses her hide and has sunlight on it from across the room for most of the day....she's been it the same spot for 7 years and has used the hide for probably 4 hours in that 7 years and never burrows to avoid it.

You do want to avoid putting it directly in the window as it can cause temps to rise dramatically....like the car left in the sun...that will kill a t....or a dog, or a child.

Wubong, when its on the glass like that just put a tape measure or ruler up to it diagonally, front left to back right to get the DLS (diagonal leg span).

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Like everyone else is saying direct sunlight can quickly lead to overheating. Also I know ive said this before but remember not to let it get too stuffy in there. You need to maintain decent ventilation which should not be overly difficult as long as you do not block the screen top like in the first picture. Avics are great T's! Good luck!

And also as far as websites im not really sure.. you can try lllreptile... they have just about everything.

If you are planning on getting more you may want to keep your setups simple as it can get a bit pricey.. but hey a good looking terrarium never hurt.

Last edited:

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
As a point of reference, I know you said you aren't using your heat lamp because of how hot it gets; but you shouldn't use any heat lamp regardless. If you ever find your temps are too hard to keep, then some kind of heating should be provided to your T room (or the area of a room your Ts are in). Like a space heater, etc. Just don't put the cages right next to the heater or you'll bake them.

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
Cold blood, direct sunlight is what I was talking about. My Ts have access to natural sunlight as well, I like it that way so they still maintain their internal sense of time and seasons. But if I left them right in the window, I'd wake up to a fried T.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You have an arboreal species. You have a terrestrial enclosure currently.

Arboreal: Height is more important than floorspace. (this is especially true for Avicularia spp. as they seldomly, if ever, go to the ground!)

You could either craft yourself a lid (there are tuts on youtube, on here and in general on the inet), or get another more fitting enclosure for that T.

I'd also recommend getting some literature to read on them.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You have an arboreal species. You have a terrestrial enclosure currently.

Arboreal: Height is more important than floorspace. (this is especially true for Avicularia spp. as they seldomly, if ever, go to the ground!).
I use cages for adult Avics that are similar in shape and size, and all are top-opening. They work fine. I don't like front-opening cages as fast spiders can dash outside easier. I don't give my Avics anymore height than that, nor do I think they need it. They just want to be off the substrate, but it doesn't need to be 2 feet off the substrate, that's wasted space. As has been pointed out, they're more sedentary than other arboreals and won't be visiting the bottom half very often. I'd put more plastic plants in that cage so the spider feels more secure and has more anchor points for spinning. Once they've spun a retreat, they tend to settle in and do much better. The biggest issue I have with that cage is the screen top, with is overkill on ventilation. I partially cover it in the middle, and that would allow cross ventilation at the ends.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nevertheless that cage is a waste of space for a small arboreal like an Avic avic IMO. As for your answer Poec, everyone is entitled to use what works best for them, I was merely given the generally consensus. Personally, I don't keep mine in big enclosures either. My Avics are currently housed in 7"x7"x13" (LxWxH) front-opening acrylic enclosures and are doing well. So that's what I would suggest, in terms of size.