Need your input!

Lacey

Arachnopeon
I'm stuck between A. Versicolor and A. Purpurea. Like really stuck! Usually my son will chime in and help me decide but this time it's like choosing between a '71 Challenger and 73' Stingray for him.. He can't do it!

So we're turning to you guys. If you could only choose one, which would it be and why?

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
I can't give you a SUPER great answer because I've never had an A. purpurea. But I CAN tell you that I absolutely adore my A. versicolor sling. He's always active, ALWAYS eats, and constructs some amazing webbing. And they have some gorgeous sling colors as well as adult colors. That being said, I believe all of that is pretty much the same for the purpureas as well. I think both are a great choice. Why not both? :D

Lacey

Arachnopeon
Why not both? :D
Thanks for the input, I've had the pleasure of raising two Versicolors into MMs and I agree they are one of the funnier tarantulas out there! I told my son that we're only going to get one or the other and I'd like to stand by my word :)

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
Understandable. Why not try the purpurea then, if you've already raised two versis? That's assuming you've never had a purpurea, which might be wrong...

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say both are great avicularia species so why dont you buy both? That solves all your problems lol. Im kinda of bias but I would say avicularia versicolor. Ive produce four sacs and currently own over twenty speciemens. Amazing eaters, great colors, active, web a ton and friendly as hell. I hold every single versicolor I own.

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Versis are a little easier to get but if you haven't had a purpurea then go for it. I only have a versi but I think purpurea are pretty cool too and will get one eventually.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm stuck between A. Versicolor and A. Purpurea. Like really stuck! Usually my son will chime in and help me decide but this time it's like choosing between a '71 Challenger and 73' Stingray for him.. He can't do it!

So we're turning to you guys. If you could only choose one, which would it be and why?
easy, the challenger every time. ;)

Kinkyskink

Arachnopeon
I have a 1" sling purpurea sling that I have had since December, prior to that I had a versi that I auctioned off at a local herp club about the same size. As someone who has had both, I love my purpurea. The versi's were fun but IMO the purp's are better eaters and more active. My two versi slings made themselves web hammocks and hid in there most of the time. The Purpurea is always wandering her enclosure and out in the open unless she is premolt (which she is now). My versi's would eat every two weeks if I was lucky and the purpurea will eat every two days if given the option. My set ups for both species are the exact same and have worked great for both. Other than that its up to which color you like best. I have heard versi can be skittish as adults and the purpureas are pretty chill, but thats just hearsay. I am favoring the purpureas over the versi's in my collection.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:

Lacey

Arachnopeon
Understandable. Why not try the purpurea then, if you've already raised two versis? That's assuming you've never had a purpurea, which might be wrong...
Purpurea was one of my firsts! The sling turned out to be a very dull coloured male, though I loved him until the last day I couldn't help but to be a little disappointed. I've seen some in the gallery that seriously renders me speechless. I guess what my male lacked in colour, he made up in heart ;)

I would say both are great avicularia species so why dont you buy both? That solves all your problems lol.
I'd love to get both but it'll solve one problem and create a whole other one IMO, I've always been raised to stick by my word and I'm hoping to pass that onto my son! Even something as little as which sling to get...

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
I just bought 2 versi slings 2nd or 3rd instar the other day and even at that size they are great! My vote is for the versi!

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Get the A. purpurea first then the A. versicolor. Or get one for him and one for yourself. Allowing him to raise both would be generous and I'm not sure how it relates to keeping your word. If I say I'm going to have soup or salad but change my mind and have both instead I must have no integrity :eek: