P. Regalis injured - Help

shamilt1

Arachnopeon
Just received a set of P. Regalis in the mail. Once of them seems to have a damaged chelicerae. It is bent up in the air and the fang is missing. The other one looks fine. Is this something he/she can recover from? :eek:

Thanks for any info guys.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Yes, it can recover from that. Just make sure it eats okay and when it molts, the recovery should start.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
as long as at least one fang is okay, it'll still be able to eat.

Expect a molt, soon. Injuries often stimulate a spider to molt, so be vigilant, in case it has trouble freeing itself, due to the damaged chelicera.

shamilt1

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys!! Am a newbie so was not sure and while I was able to find plenty of info about damaged/lost legs, nothing about chelicerae.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Just make sure it eats and give it easy prey, I've even see fangless T's make it to their next recovery molt, so just keep an eye on it.

shamilt1

Arachnopeon
I "inherited" a T collection about two years ago from a very good friend who had to go on deployment abroad, so I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to T husbandry. This is not my first pokie, I have two Pederseni, and another Regalis so maybe I am not a complete "noob". I just have never really run into any issues w/my other T's. (I don't handle them at all unless re-housing) I have never had any issues molting, or any of the other numerous problems other people can have from time to time with T’s. Just a hunger strike every now and then from my Red Rump. I live in South Florida so never had issues w/temp or humidity. As a pet/display animal, I find they are pretty bullet-proof if you respect them, take care of their housing, and clean their enclosure. I just have not had them long enough to consider myself “experienced” yet.

My problem was this particular injury. I could find nothing in books or online about it. Again, plenty of info about legs, but not about this. So I came to you wonderful folks to get info. This set of P. Regalis are about 2.5-3 inches. I will make sure to update you guys on whether he is eating or not. I have to admit though, I am worried about whether he will have issues molting. I will try to include pics next time.

shamilt1

Arachnopeon
Dinner is served

Guys, he is chowing down on a cricket as we speak, one fang and all!!. Whew!! Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.:biggrin:

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good to hear. Not sure if the injury happened before or during shipping... like I said it never had issues eating so I didn't have a reason to look too closely.

shamilt1

Arachnopeon
Just an update. He/she molted on memorial day and the chelicerae looks normal. The fang however, is a little nub but you can tell w/in the next molt or two he/she will be good to go. Has been taking down large crickets and even took out a male dubia roach today so even w/one working fang, there is no problem eating.

reunsch

Arachnosquire
At least it has moulted now and seems to be returning to normal. I had a Brachypelma albopilosum male lose both fangs about a month after moulting and I was convinced he wouldn't make it to the next moult, but he did.