What is this?

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
Found this in my animal room. Not sure the species or anything. I know its some sort of wasp, but I'm wondering if it's dangerous to me? Or my invertebrates and reptiles? I'm in Corvallis Oregon if that helps at all.
That's a mud dauber wasp , it rarely hurts human. It hunts its prey by stinging them. They prey on spider and insects. So i think its dangerous for your inverts , not sure about the reptile. Hope i helped c:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Black and Yellow mud-dauber. They often invade homes, looking for a corner to build their nests, which are, as the name suggests- made of mud. (clay is preferred by this species in particular).

They are a major threat to any small spiders you have in uncovered enclosures, and are very agile predators. A small tarantula sling is fair game, so make sure there are no openings large enough for them to get into.

I allow them to build their nests in my home, for this reason, as they find their way out, and arent a nuisance IMO.

Personally i've actually been thinking of raising a few. They seem so smart that they'd take to captivity well.

They're in the sphecidae family, a family known for ridiculous intelligence, as far as insects are concerned. They can easily get in and out of homes, and arent confused by windows or lights.

NanoTek

Arachnopeon
Black and Yellow mud-dauber. They often invade homes, looking for a corner to build their nests, which are, as the name suggests- made of mud. (clay is preferred by this species in particular).

They are a major threat to any small spiders you have in uncovered enclosures, and are very agile predators. A small tarantula sling is fair game, so make sure there are no openings large enough for them to get into.

I allow them to build their nests in my home, for this reason, as they find their way out, and arent a nuisance IMO.

Personally i've actually been thinking of raising a few. They seem so smart that they'd take to captivity well.

They're in the sphecidae family, a family known for ridiculous intelligence, as far as insects are concerned. They can easily get in and out of homes, and arent confused by windows or lights.

I also think that we have those in the uk too we call them the skinny wasps which are same in colour. Do you think they can migrate and adapt ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddah4207

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the info. That makes sense now as I took down a mud nest when I first moved in. I cracked it open and found rows of spider carcasses stacked on top of each other down tubes. Do they return to the same nest every year or is my house just prime real estate?

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. That makes sense now as I took down a mud nest when I first moved in. I cracked it open and found rows of spider carcasses stacked on top of each other down tubes. Do they return to the same nest every year or is my house just prime real estate?
oh god that sounds like something out of a horror story!