PLEASE!......Tell me I have an upcoming molt lol

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Some time last year I brought a Brachypelma species*or maybe it was a Grammostola species whatever it was here it is below hopefully going to molt within a month from now....anyone can confirm my molt theories?

I don't label my Ts because I usually can tell exactly what they are by just looking at them because I usually pick the ones who have distinctive coloring and anyone can usually name them within seconds of seeing them.

I know this is for sure only one of the two genus' I labeled above because in June it will be a year I have had this sling and it has yet to molt lol.

As far as I know these are the only two that take forever to molt besides the
Aphonopelma* genus but I don't want any of those.....ever lol.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The slower growing species don't necessarily molt monthly as slings. In fact, most don't. My B. boehmei and even my E. sp. "red" molt very infrequently. There's no way to tell -when- it's gonna molt, but as soon as the abdomen turns black, you'll know it's coming. One word of advice in this hobby: Be patient :)

Keith B

Arachnobaron
Agree with Storm. By the picture, it's not going to molt yet. You'll see signs though: more sluggish, reclusive, might bury itself, fasting.. if it stays out where you can see it, you'll notice the abdomen gradulally begin to get darker. When this happens, with a small sling, you can expect a molt probably in the next two or three weeks.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I had to guess, I'd say Grammostola, maybe pulchripes? Doesn't look like a Brachypelma to me.
This is my G. pulchripes back when I first got him almost two years ago:
View attachment 126285

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
I would say it will moult in the next few days ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnyxRayne

Arachnopeon
Some Species can go up to two years without molting, or eating... there really is no given' time for a tarantula to molt. My little girl just molted a few weeks ago... I can tell you this though. If you find your baby on it's back leave it be... if you try to handle it while it's molting it will freak out... You'll know when it's ready to molt because it will start fasting and become sluggish. But you really need not worry.... ^_^

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Some Species can go up to two years without molting, or eating... there really is no given' time for a tarantula to molt. My little girl just molted a few weeks ago... I can tell you this though. If you find your baby on it's back leave it be... if you try to handle it while it's molting it will freak out... You'll know when it's ready to molt because it will start fasting and become sluggish. But you really need not worry.... ^_^

My first post for this T is was 4-25-14 today is 5-20-14 and here is what she looks like now and oh by the way it fasted BEFORE 4-25-14 lol.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
If you have any intentions on breeding at a later date I'd suggest labelling your tarantulas.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If you have any intentions on breeding at a later date I'd suggest labelling your tarantulas.
I was literally thinking the same thing. Even if you don't plan on breeding them, tarantulas can have wildly different care regimen even in their own genus. It's best to label them to avoid any mix up, and to avoid making mistakes than can hurt or kill the tarantula.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
even if I don't by the time it gets to breeding size I'll remember exactly the species I got but all slings look the same til they reach their respective colors so I don't need to label any Ts under certain inches as long as enclosure is suited to the Ts species

This is not even close to my first T more like my 50th or higher.

Thanks

If its all black as an adult it's 100% a G. pulchra I buy ALL my Ts based on what their colors will be as an adult so if you can confused an adult GBB with an adult G pulchra that's on you.

I know my pets therefore as slings I don't need labels

Last edited:

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
even if I don't by the time it gets to breeding size I'll remember exactly the species I got but all slings look the same til they reach their respective colors so I don't need to label any Ts under certain inches as long as enclosure is suited to the Ts species

Thanks

If its all black as an adult it's 100% a G. pulchra I buy ALL my Ts based on what their colors will be as an adult so if you can confused an adult GBB with an adult G pulchra that's on you.

Good help you when you get in to Pokies and aphonopelma...

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Good help you when you get in to Pokies and aphonopelma...
Ummm pokies don't have all the same colors as adults so you have a lot of pokie practice to do and I don't buy anything from that genus they grow WAY TOO slow for me and they have really drab/dull brown colors I'll never find interesting

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ummm pokies don't have all the same colors as adults so you have a lot of pokie practice to do and I don't buy anything from that genus they grow WAY TOO slow for me and they have really drab/dull brown colors I'll never find interesting
You say they grow too slow, yet you own brachypelma and grammostola.

Pokies are also not very drab with their beautiful mottled pattern.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
I know this isn't your first T, I can remember your username.
Using a GBB and G. pulchra as examples is just a poor attempt at sarcasm/light insult.

But whatever I believe I tried helping you in an old thread and you seemed to e above the suggestion so ill refrain from entering your future threads, good luck in the hobby.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I know this isn't your first T, I can remember your username.
Using a GBB and G. pulchra as examples is just a poor attempt at sarcasm/light insult.

But whatever I believe I tried helping you in an old thread and you seemed to e above the suggestion so ill refrain from entering your future threads, good luck in the hobby.
how is that an insult or sarcasm when those are the exact type of Ts I have?

That was called an EXAMPLE. an example of how different my Ts are and proof there's NO WAY I'll mix them up.

You must not know what sarcasm is because that wasn't what I did

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
While there are differences in most adult Pokie coloration, may are very similar. Sure, its easy to pick out a rufilata or metallica from a regalis. Without seriously close examination, try vitatta versus striata. Now that's a challenge. So Curious Jay makes a very valid point.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
While there are differences in most adult Pokie coloration, may are very similar. Sure, its easy to pick out a rufilata or metallica from a regalis. Without seriously close examination, try vitatta versus striata. Now that's a challenge. So Curious Jay makes a very valid point.
I have no pokies yet so why are you bringing up an issue I don't have?

That makes his point and yours pointless to tell me.

Obviously if I end up getting those COMMON SENSE tells EVERYONE to label Ts, that might look alike.

NONE of my current Ts look alike to the point that I need to to label them so why label them.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some time last year I brought a Brachypelma species*or maybe it was a Grammostola species....

I don't label my Ts because I usually can tell exactly what they are by just looking at them because I usually pick the ones who have distinctive coloring and anyone can usually name them within seconds of seeing them.

I know this is for sure only one of the two genus' I labeled above because in June it will be a year I have had this sling and it has yet to molt lol.

As far as I know these are the only two that take forever to molt besides the
Aphonopelma* genus but I don't want any of those.....ever lol.
You don't know which genus is pictured, but you know each of them at a glance?.?.?.

NONE of my current Ts look alike to the point that I need to to label them so why label them.
But, you also said that all slings look alike...

Poecilotheria all grow significantly faster than either Brachypelma or Grammostola.
"Drab/dull brown colors on a Poeci..." Are you sure we are all referring to the same genus?

But, in your first post you said you didn't know which genus it was from....
(Anyone else feel like their head is spinning?.?.?.)

"By the time it gets to breeding size..." could take several years for either Brachypelma or Grammostola species. A lot could happen in several years. You could get into financial straits or lose interest in the hobby and need/want to sell your livestock. Most people want to know what they're buying and won't be interested in a 'maybe this' or maybe that'. You could get run over by a truck and your next of kin would have to rehome your Ts. How are they going to market them if they aren't labeled? Mystery Ts?

"....more like my 50th or higher." Sounds like you're spouting numbers to try to qualify mismanagement of your livestock, which is what lack of labeling amounts to.

Both of the spiders below are juveniles with adult coloration. One is a Brachypelma species, the other is a Grammostola. They are both about 4" DLS, but there is, chronologically, two plus years age difference between them. They've been in my care for three years and have received identical husbandry. I can tell them apart, as I'm sure many others can. But, they are labeled, nonetheless. In the event one of my family members should be in the position to have to rehome them, I want the buyer to know exactly what they are getting. Not all buyers are experienced, as you have proven. I don't want to take the chance on needless deaths or hybridization caused by my failure to adequately identify individuals.