The Most Ridiculous Thing... some people...

Whirligig

Arachnopeon
I found the most insane ad in my area for an "orange haired tarantula". Supposedly it is "defanged" and lives in an 80 gallon tank (ummm.... lol). Looks like a MM G. pulchra or G. porteri to me...

So tell me, what is the most ridiculous thing you've seen in a classified ad for a tarantula? I bet I'm not the only one who has seen something this stupid before.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Someone was selling a G. pulchripes online claiming it lives up to 80 years and can be taught tricks.
Hey that was my add!! No im just kiding... thats the most insane thing ive ever seen... hopefully people do research before they buy...

Im crazy... and I Love Ts!!!!

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw an ad for a "female obt" which was clearly a mm from the pictures, but it was an obt and they claimed it was one of the most docile species and easily handleable.

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
$50 for a female red knee. There were picture, and it was in fact a red knee... it was also very dead.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
$50 for a female red knee. There were picture, and it was in fact a red knee... it was also very dead.
Just imagine how that would've went,
"Umm, it's dead"
"No she's just sleeping" :biggrin: :biggrin:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A guy in the UK was selling a t blondi for £90($135ish) the thing was it was a female nhandu coloratovillosus I told him it wasnt worth no where near what he was asking for it and I made him an offer of £40 he told me no I'd rather kill it or let it free my reply was 40 is better than nothing and a dead t and now im the proud owner of a 6" female so alls great for me and the t

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
I saw an ad for a "female obt" which was clearly a mm from the pictures, but it was an obt and they claimed it was one of the most docile species and easily handleable.
That makes me wonder if it's stupidity, or just a sick joke... :D

Lacey

Arachnopeon
One of the funnier ads I came across was on Kijiji. The guy/ gal was selling a 5" female OBT. In the picture you can clearly see the tibial hooks. Well, the ad claimed that 'she' will live up to 60 years and doesn't need to eat. It said 'she' hasn't eaten since they got her because, and I quote, "this type of tarantula comes from the desert where no food can survive the extreme conditions so it has evolved to live on water"

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
One of the funnier ads I came across was on Kijiji. The guy/ gal was selling a 5" female OBT. In the picture you can clearly see the tibial hooks. Well, the ad claimed that 'she' will live up to 60 years and doesn't need to eat. It said 'she' hasn't eaten since they got her because, and I quote, "this type of tarantula comes from the desert where no food can survive the extreme conditions so it has evolved to live on water"
An OBT with tibial hooks huh?...

awiec

Arachnoprince
An OBT with tibial hooks huh?...
I think the whole point of that disaster was the person not only got the gender wrong but the species..... and the general lack of knowledge of how living things work.

netr

Arachnoknight
That makes me wonder if it's stupidity, or just a sick joke... :D
Or worse; someone who wants to sell the spider and doesn't care how much he misleads potential customers to do so. What a scumbag.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Or worse; someone who wants to sell the spider and doesn't care how much he misleads potential customers to do so. What a scumbag.
That was done to me once... it was with herps (a ball python to be exact) and before the guy sexed it I told him if its a female ill definitaly take it as i needed a female (ya i know i was stupid) and he sexed it in the back room came back and said its female... a while later i got more experienced and starting sexing myself... it was a male... i cant believe how some ppl will do that!!!

Im crazy... and I Love Ts!!!!

Medusa

Arachnoknight
Some clown on craigslist sold me an A. hentzi that was a MM and died shortly afterwards. He told me it was "young and healthy" and, at that time, I didn't know better. It was $20 and I had to make a 50-mile round trip to meet him. I live in a fairly rural area, so making the drive to score a great deal hasn't been cost-effective for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i seen someone selling 3 dif species on a fb group yesterday. he used "common" names of "bronze back tarantula" [no clue he claimed it was "burried too offen to get pictures"] "blue pink toe" [obv an avic but it was missing 3legs he said its a 6 leg species*yet gave no reason it had 5*] and a "african blood leg" [95% sure was b. smithi] he wanted the group to go for $495 [wtf??]which included a 125g tank a tank with flowers planted in it [which looked okayish-hyacinths and coleus flowers] but he said they lived communally with an emperor scorpion[nfs] and was fed once a month and "they are best of friends and id hate to separate them, they wrestle all the time and chase one another"

he discribed the "bronze back" and it sounded like maybe a a Aphonopelma claims it was a super venomous species but can not kill you similar to a 'daddy long leg' he said the avic loved to be handled and hand fed. and was a ground dwelling species but is picked on by the smithi and prefers to hang by the screen top. and the smithi he said was just super agressive lol he claimed each of these ran him 150 bucks [he refused to give size] and the tank was worth the rest lol.

i was like just odd so much false info. blah. and he refused to separate..

Last edited:

netr

Arachnoknight
^ That guy has really taken it to the next level - from blatant misinformation about the animals to full-blown fantasy narrative. I'm actually quite impressed.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
might as well include information on who to contact should they explode and erupt into a seething mass of babies.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
^ That guy has really taken it to the next level - from blatant misinformation about the animals to full-blown fantasy narrative. I'm actually quite impressed.
i kinda laughed. he was 100% serious and when i said id be interested to take them but not with the tank he got very deffensive thinking it was the "best for the animals well-being as they have been together sense they was babies" i tried to talk him into letting me buy just them said i dont have room for another 125 [i do have one i could have used as pic proof] but promised id keep them similar to how he had them... he was pretty ticked i wouldnt buy it all [tho if the tank had no crack and sexes and actual species was known it MIGHT be worth the price] he ended up blocking me.

it was pretty funny to me. i feel bad for the kid who ends up with them. if hed give a vental and actual pics id think about it but not buying blind =\