Vivarium question

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a rather large enclosure, roughly 2x2 and maybe 3 and a half feet high. I built it awhile back, apparently for no reason at all other than to have something to do. I have never had anything in it and at the moment it's in shambles. I never actually got the water feature to run clear but there is a stream of sorts with a small pond at the end. I never actually finished it and now it's fallen into a state of disrepair. Now to the questions...

To be clear, I am wanting to put an adult pokie in this although I will have to buy a sling and start it in a smaller container

Has anybody ever put a T in an enclosure with a water feature? How did it turn out? Any problems that I should be aware of?

My intent, as I said, is to put an adult P. regalis in this thing and I want to put some local fish in the water to take care of any wayward crickets that fall in. The water feature is small enough that a full grown pokie could reach dry land from anywhere but it's deep enough in the basing to support some mosquito fish or something. There is still a lot of work to be done before anything at all goes into it. I still have to add ventilation, plants, climbing features of some sort, etc. There is about a square foot of floor space and the interior height is maybe 2.5 feet.

I'm not set on putting a pokie in it but I love them and I would really like to do something with this monstrosity.

Vivarium.jpg

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
I can't help with the pokie questions, but I can give some other advice. I have seen people put T. blondi in big vivariums like this, but I might be wrong, given that I have no experience with that species. I know Muddy Dog has a vivarium, maybe they can give advice. And if you enlarged the water feature, you might be able to keep frogs in there.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I had given frogs a consideration during the initial building stages but there isn't a lot of floor space. The height is what made me think pokie.

delo

Arachnopeon
A few observations/questions......

1) your substrate looks rather wet so I'm inquiring if you have a medium between the water and substrate such as clay pellets and weed fabric to separate "dirt and water"
2) do you have a filter and water circulation (IE: pump) as that would clean your water issue
3) i may be wrong but it seems like a wooden enclosure, if so what type of wood did you use as pine, cedar and other woods may be harmful to T's due to sap
4) I'm not familiar with mosquito fish but you may have to calculate water volume as the rule of thumb for fish is 1 inch per gallon to maintain enough O2 and cleanliness

It is however possible to have a full vivarium set-up as I've done one before a long time ago with a small waterfall but maintenance can be tricky and time consuming. I have however never housed 2 separate animal in 1 terrarium on purpose before.

good luck and enjoy the project should you move forward with it.

Cheers

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The substrate was soaked, it's a bit drier now that I've taken most of the water out though. It's made of plywood with a rubberized coating on the inside to make it waterproof. Water volume is a few gallons (probably 5 or so), it has a false bottom and a pump in the back. The flat square thing covers the pump, if you look closely the cord is barely visible. I had to check to make sure it was still in there lol. Filtering is accomplished by (biological) gravel and cement waterfall, (mechanical) sand, gravel and sponge and (chemical) charcoal. The waterfall also helps to aerate the water. As I said, there is a lot of work to be done. I need to add more ventilation, plant the soil area with some sort of grass or moss or something that doesn't get too tall and I want to add some driftwood for vertical space. Maybe some vines or something.

Thanks for the replies and if anyone else has any ideas, I'd love to hear them