Mushroom Outbreak!

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
I've got some enclosures that seem to be growing mushroom forests. The mushrooms are mustard yellow and max out at 4". I've dealt with these fungi before but not at the numbers I'm seeing now. I know this will come up so I'll say this now. Ventalation is not an issue here. For some reason they kept growing out in the open after I removed them from the enclosures previously, so they can withstand dry conditions as well. Im thinking of investing in dwarf white isopods to eat the spores and maybe switch up my substrate to peatmoss but not sure if that will help much. Any usefull advice will be appreciated.

-JohnD.

---------- Post added 04-30-2014 at 08:38 PM ----------

Apparently this is a common mushroom found in around household plants, its called Leucocoprinus birnbaumii

Last edited:

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I have a scorpion tank that is filled with those. They started when I had little ventilation, so I opened the enclosure top in an effort to dry them out. They eventually wick out all moisture from the substrate, but continue to thrive!

My isopods appear to be farming them or something. Certainly not eating them with any haste. I have a few types of grey isos, as well as springtails. And now I also have a mushroom garden. :D

So far as I can find out about them, is that they are far more ugly than harmful. Some people cultivate and grow massive ones. They can propagate fairly readily, even in dry conditions, where the spores hitch a ride on clothing/skin/etc.

Still haven't found an effective way to safely evict these guys though. Anyone else tired of looking at tiny mushroom dots? lol

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wouldn't bother me to have a few mushrooms spring up in my moist enclosures, might even look nice. But I have yet to have any appear.