Extreme size comparison for mature tarantulas

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Sheesh. I know the baboons have some tiny males but he's practically still a sling.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's a true spider species where the gender difference is far greater than this, hard to believe.

There's another baboon with an even larger difference than this species I believe. Ceratogyrus knows which species.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Sometimes when I walk in the Mall I see this but with humans... the female human is huge and the male human is very small hahaha... no just kiding to each their own. I tell you that male is very very brave!

Im crazy... and I Love Ts!!!!

cold blood

Staff member
Wow the little guy is small. I have an A. ezendami otw, dang I really hope it ends up a female. At least a male that small will be a little easier to ship off to a mate.

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Damn that's a huge difference lol....I wonder if the male has a better chance of getting away after mating.

But his small size probably makes him much closer to the fangs
After mating, I could imagine the female thinking, "Pffff, why even bother? He'd barely be a snack!"

Seriously though, that is some amazing sexual dimorphism. I've seen some shrimpy males before, but never that severe in tarantulas before.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow the little guy is small. I have an A. ezendami otw, dang I really hope it ends up a female. At least a male that small will be a little easier to ship off to a mate.
It's only junodi with such huge sexual dimorphism.

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ask away. What else would you like to know?
I've heard it mentioned that males that are that small are of dubious potency and therefore an evolutionary food item a la Domino's Pizza. What do you think..?

P.S. I had a male OBT that was less than 3".

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Maybe these males are a way to make use of all those sexually mature females that have yet to attain full adult size?
I mean, a full sized male similarly cannot (or maybe unwilling?) get it on with a smaller female, so producing a few runt mature males can be a way for them to maximize production from all sexually mature females, fully grown or not.
If they were simply meant to be food, I don't think we'd see any tiny mature males, as they would not be selected for.

But that's just a guess, I'm not a scientician or a genetictician.

/crackpot theory

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's an incredible video! I'm also surprised anything with "Extreme Adult" in the title doesn't get flagged on youtube haha

Maybe these males are a way to make use of all those sexually mature females that have yet to attain full adult size?
I mean, a full sized male similarly cannot (or maybe unwilling?) get it on with a smaller female, so producing a few runt mature males can be a way for them to maximize production from all sexually mature females, fully grown or not.
If they were simply meant to be food, I don't think we'd see any tiny mature males, as they would not be selected for.

But that's just a guess, I'm not a scientician or a genetictician.

/crackpot theory
If that's the case, do you think the tiny males would be more drawn to the scent of young female and a larger male to an older female?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
That's an incredible video! I'm also surprised anything with "Extreme Adult" in the title doesn't get flagged on youtube haha

If that's the case, do you think the tiny males would be more drawn to the scent of young female and a larger male to an older female?
I don't know, but I would think the smaller males would have more success pairing with similarly sized females than ones several times their size.
Judging from the video, it seems the female knows it's a male, as it makes no immediate attempt to eat it like it would a typical prey item, so it stands to reason that tiny males that encounter large females will survive the encounter, at least some of the time.