vivarium for millipedes and ghost mantids

ecooper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all,

I have a large all glass vivarium: 3 ft tall x 3 ft tall x 1.5 ft deep with sliding glass doors. It can hold substrate or water to a depth of about 10 inches and is well ventilated via 2 perforated aluminum panels. Lighting consists of 4 daylight compact florescent bulbs and two 75w spot lights which also heat the enclosure. At night there is lighting and heat provided by two 75w red spotlights.

I originally set the vivarium up back in 2002 with rich substrate and lots of branches and plants for a pair of grandis day geckos. The geckos thrived and bred like crazy. They finally died a couple of years ago. Since then I've been using it as a mini warm room for a variety of tubs of arthropods.

I'm now thinking of setting it up as a vivarium for both giant millipeds and ghost mantids. So it would have about 8 inches of peat moss/ground coconut/oak leaves for the 'pedes, with lots of branches and leafy plants for the mantids to hang out on.
Seems to me this could work out really nice.

Any thoughts or comments? Can anyone see how this wouldn't work nicely?

Cheers,
EC

---------- Post added 05-02-2014 at 10:29 PM ----------

Forgot to say that given the millipedes and mantids are both African, hopefully I could also find some appropriate African plants.

Last edited: