C. cyaneopubescens - When do they get their adult color?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
At about 4", according to the Canadian penny :)

Egg

Post embryo/EWLs

First instar

First instar, late stages, ready to molt

Second instar

Third instar

Fourth instar

Fifth instar

Sixth instar

Seventh instar

Eighth instar

Ninth instar

Tenth instar

I've been keeping track of the same individual from about 5[SUP]th[/SUP] instar (previous instars were from other individuals) from a bunch I hatched out back in 2011. My intention was to document their color change as they grew.
At 10[SUP]th[/SUP] instar, she looks pretty much like her mum, though her carapace could darken a bit. I don't foresee any more drastic changes so I think this may be the it, though I may still continue to see that penny get even smaller:)
This was previously part of this thread, but I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Fun fact: The majority of her siblings that are with me are still barely out of their sling clothes at 2".

RussoTuristo

Arachnopeon
Very nice size/coloration comparison. Looks like it decided to take a break from all that growing between the 5th and the 6th instars. :sarcasm:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had no idea a penny went through so many life stages! A bit strange to use a spider as a size comparison though.

(Gorgeous girl. How'd she grow so much faster than her siblings?)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
2 things... 1) i THOUGHT this sounded familiar with ur name attatched XD

2) ugh just ordered 2 gbb and your making me want them here quicker! and they wont be here till wed :'(

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is amazing to see all the color changes! Judging by this I'd say mine is a 7th or 8th instar.

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had no idea a penny went through so many life stages! A bit strange to use a spider as a size comparison though.
...:laugh:...

That's why I promote the GBB when someone asks "what should I get next"?

Good work Hobo.

auskie

Arachnosquire
I wish there were chronological pictures like this for all species. I should have started something similar when I first got my slings.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member

(Gorgeous girl. How'd she grow so much faster than her siblings?)
Originally she was the biggest of her siblings, at least one molt ahead of the rest. After I decided to document her growth, I started to feed her more than the others (they get fed sparingly).

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Originally she was the biggest of her siblings, at least one molt ahead of the rest. After I decided to document her growth, I started to feed her more than the others (they get fed sparingly).

With the sparse feedings does that encourage them to take bigger meals than you'd normally give if you fed them every week?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
With the sparse feedings does that encourage them to take bigger meals than you'd normally give if you fed them every week?
Most tarantulas (GBBs especially) will take as large a prey item as they think they can handle safely, regardless of feeding frequency or amount. They are wired to do so, and cannot afford to be picky. If they can subdue it, it's lunch!

That said, I do not typically feed them larger than normal meals.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
This is amazing Hobo, thanks for sharing. I'm waiting for a sac on my GBB girl as we speak so it's good to know what I have to look forward to should everything go well.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ha! Thanks Hobo - that kinda leads me to believe that most species will in fact start gaining adult color (not full, but changing into) at 9th instar! I've witnessed this with all my Avicularia species and haven't payed too much attention to the others.

Question to you guys out there: Would you say this is true? Can you confirm / give examples where it's not the case?