eco earth

jayspider

Arachnopeon
my sling are coming today I was planning on using eco earth but I'm having trouble with create burrows that don't fall apart. I was wondering what mixes best with eco earth or do I just need to pack in tighter.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Plain coco coir tightly packed is fine, most tunneling Ts will add webbing to make the burrow more structurally sound

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
my sling are coming today I was planning on using eco earth but I'm having trouble with create burrows that don't fall apart. I was wondering what mixes best with eco earth or do I just need to pack in tighter.
You don't need to "create burrows"; the slings can and will burrow on their own.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Im with them. You don't need to create burrows. Also they do web up the inside of their tunnels just like they would in nature. You don't need to do anything just give them a good amount of substrate and let them do their thing. Pack it tight-ish but not too tight. Make sure to poke lots of airholes above the substrate. Eco earth is my personal favorite substrate.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I mix spagnum moss into coir for species I know burrow heavily. You also need to start with slightly moist Eco earth-completely dry will just continue to be fluffy and not hold any shape.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
mixing fine sand with coco fiber can greatly increase stability, the only animals that need good stable substrate that wont collapse are scorpions.

I have a fondness for homemade substrate mixtures, because i tend to collect obligate burrowers that require a stable tunnel. I simply boil sand to clean it.