T. stirmi gravid female behavior.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I mated this gal Feb 12th of this year. It was a success and she never wanted to mate again with my males. 3 days ago i noticed her out and about walking circles in her tank. Today she still is. She has plenty of fresh clean water, which half if today she spent hovering and drinking it. Humidity is 80%, temp is 76-82 deg. She molted last Dec 23rd, so that's not the problem. Ive never seen her walking rounds ever. I candled her while she was up against the glass the other day, nothing but a yellow glow. And by looking at the picture below, it seems as though her abdomen is doing the "split" like some gravid female tarantulas do. What do you all think? Should I change her tank and substrate, maybe it'll trigger her to drop. Or should I leave her be?

Austin

Attachments

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks :). I heard she may be looking for a spot to lay outside of her burrow. Think she may be doin that?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Thanks :). I heard she may be looking for a spot to lay outside of her burrow. Think she may be doin that?
Females will lay down a thick sheet of silk prior to laying, that may take a few days to complete. They usually prefer to make a chamber under something (cork slab) and spin a chamber by sealing it up, and then lay the eggs in safety. Does yours have a spot like that? She looks like she's full of eggs and should lay soon. With stirmi, that's only half the battle, as you have to get them to hatch which can be a challenge. I've had females of other genera dump their sacs in their water bowls, and drown their young, so I pull the bowls now as soon as a sac is laid.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She made this burrow a few months ago and has been making a bigger chamber down there.

She's has a thick silk bed in there from dec from when she last molted, but put it outside 3 days ago. Now she hasn't been back in there. Only walks around now.

Attachments

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Came home from work tonight to see this. Not 100% sure yet, but keeping my fingers crossed. She has made the whole chamber into a huge bowl. No silk inside yet, but will see what tomorrow brings.

Attachments

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update

This was taken 2 hours ago. The entrance is a solid silk wall. Can't see her or anything. She's never done this. I'll update in the morning, but looks promising.

Attachments

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
This was taken 2 hours ago. The entrance is a solid silk wall. Can't see her or anything. She's never done this. I'll update in the morning, but looks promising.
Yes, it's a good sign.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wish I could see whats going on in there!! She molted last Dec, so thats not the case.

Attachments

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Did you pull the water bowl like poke54 does?? You beter keep us posted... super exited for you!!

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just left it there but there is no water in it.

I will be out of country from June 21st-June29th so that's killing me!!!

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice sack! I love stirmis, hope it hatches for you!

Wait, I just said nice sack...........

TLover007

Arachnosquire
I just left it there but there is no water in it.

I will be out of country from June 21st-June29th so that's killing me!!!
I will also be away from home over the next 4 days, I dont even have an egg sac (spider egg sac that is) and i dont like it so i dont even knwo how you must feel!!