Beetles as food for scorps

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have been feeding my Emperors those brown beetles that fly around the lights at night. They really do like them since they are easier for them to catch than crickets. Has anyone tried feeding their scorps or tarantulas these beetles. I think they are called a May Beetle.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That looks very similar to the one that I have been feeding

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are about 1/2 inch long. They have a very hard exoskeleton but the emperors have no trouble crushing them in theit pinchers

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
To iterate, technically reiterate but nonetheless I shall continue, don't feed you animals wild caught food. They may contain pesticides, chemicals, etc, that can harm your animal, eventually causing death. Just buy crickets.

Aidan

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
no pesticides here

not to worry since there are no pesticides here. i own much of the land here and neither my neighbors nor I are using any. however that is a good point. if a person is not sure, it would not be a good idea to feed wild caught food :eek:

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Collect them in a forrest and there's no problem.

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Rigggghhhtt. I'm sure there are no possible chemicals in the forest, that makes perfect sense. *rolls eyes*

Aidan

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The beetle comes from the Scarabaeidae as such if it is collected in a forest its unlikely to accumulate any harmful chemicals, they have small ranges and feed on faecal matter as such are poor accumulators of fat born contaminates, they should be fine for feeding to scorpions. You want to stay away form carnivourous hunting beetles, especially Cerambycidae family beetles thathave high conentrations of fats making thme especially susceptable to accumulated contaminates.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
The beetle comes from the Scarabaeidae as such if it is collected in a forest its unlikely to accumulate any harmful chemicals, they have small ranges and feed on faecal matter as such are poor accumulators of fat born contaminates, they should be fine for feeding to scorpions. You want to stay away form carnivourous hunting beetles, especially Cerambycidae family beetles thathave high conentrations of fats making thme especially susceptable to accumulated contaminates.
That is good info thanks :)

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We have tons of those around our house during the Summer.Those little guys shure do bug the hell out of me :mad:

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I tried feeding my Emp a young cockroach a few months back. I was suprised while changing his bedding to find that it was still alive. It's much to fast and clever to be eaten, It had been living in a burrow it made itself, and feasting on crickets, I knew. I didn't realise it would have made it this long. I moved him into his own tank with crickets I keep on hold for my T. I named him Ultimo the Champion. He deserves respect for surviving for so long. :eek: