Safe live plants?

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
I have been having a bit of spring fever lately and decided to get my wicked gardening on. Living in an apartment sort of limits that
So
I was thinking of introducing live plants for some of my heavy webbers/arboreals. Any ones to avoid?

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

scorpio948

Arachnopeon
I would avoid any live plants for heavy webbers. That way you don't have to worry about the leaves and everything rotting. Once they web it up, you won't really be able to see the plant and may miss rotting parts as well as any mold that is growing on them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I would wait until you've got a year or two of proper spider husbandry under your belt before adding live plants to the mix. Keep everything as complication free until you've a real hang of care. Then worry about adding plants.

FYI rotting plant material nor mold is that big if a deal. Throw some isopods or an worm in the soil, and it will break it down into a working environment helping the soil and the plant. Problems from mold are overrated and usually a visual nuisance.

goodyt

Arachnosquire
ALWAYS see if you can find out if the plants have been sprayed with insecticide. If you can't know for sure, wait before introducing them.

-AJ

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
I would wait until you've got a year or two of proper spider husbandry under your belt before adding live plants to the mix. Keep everything as complication free until you've a real hang of care. Then worry about adding plants.

FYI rotting plant material nor mold is that big if a deal. Throw some isopods or an worm in the soil, and it will break it down into a working environment helping the soil and the plant. Problems from mold are overrated and usually a visual nuisance.
Hm, I can definitely understand where you're coming from. I have had more plant experience than animal care. I guess I am just itching to plant :p

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I have been having a bit of spring fever lately and decided to get my wicked gardening on. Living in an apartment sort of limits that
So
I was thinking of introducing live plants for some of my heavy webbers/arboreals. Any ones to avoid?

Stick with plants that are well known and documented. Then a quick search will reveal what hazards they may present to animals.

GuyEBoring

Arachnopeon
All this is very helpful, I will look use fake plants. Wasn't against it in the first place , just like live better. Thank you everyone

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
If you have plant experience it will much easier for you to keep it alive in terrarium. Usually plants are the ones to die, not spider;P For obvious reasons avoid anything that can mechanically damage spider, plants with spikes or sharp sticks. And like mentioned above don't put plant straight from shop into enclosure, it could have been sprayed with something.
Real plants in tarantula terrarium looks great imo, but keeping them well can be a little bit challenging. Remember that plants love light while spiders hate it, so you have to plan setup carefully. Also some drainage layer may be needed, some plants die quickly when have wet roots. Most of plants dedicated for keeping indoors will be safe for animals, there may be some exceptions, like plants with poisonous liquids.
But real plants in heavy webbers terrarium isn't best idea, because spider will web it up, hereby killing plant;)

GuyEBoring

Arachnopeon
All of you have been very helpful. I have decided to go with them. Many reasons; a few being in the comments above, & less stress/hassel for both T an myself. I have found some awesome looking fake plants, that will be thoroughly washed & properly... dryed before putting in. I have also downsized the terarrium to the attached photo. Just without the backdrop n leafy vine. Forgot I had it. Again thank you everyone.

Attachments