How do you make holes in plastic tubs, containers, amac boxes, etc.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Some plastics do crack like the hard ones just use a shap tipped tip for your drill and it you need to make holes for slings i use a lighter, a baby diper pin and some tongs... just grip the pin warm it up until its red hot and start poking where you want the holes... if it cools down just repeat... very easy...

Im crazy... and I Love Ts!!!!

skippydude

Arachnobaron
I use a drill bit, but instead of attaching it to a drill, I hold it tight with a pair of pliers and heat it up, then melt the holes through the plastic ;)

fuzzysling12

Arachnopeon
I usually heat something metal and poke it through. After that I wash the container until I get the plastic smell out. It's pretty time consuming, but if it's only for a tub/container or two, it shouldn't take that long.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies!

Do you just heat it up on the stove or is there a better way to do this?

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I just drilled three containers made of hard brittle plastic recently. I used a small bit and used a slow speed to drill a total of 72 holes. It only took maybe 30 minutes or so. I drew the hole pattern on paper, taped it to the container and commensed drilling. No cracks, no melted plastic and perfect smooth tiny holes.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I just drilled three containers made of hard brittle plastic recently. I used a small bit and used a slow speed to drill a total of 72 holes. It only took maybe 30 minutes or so. I drew the hole pattern on paper, taped it to the container and commensed drilling. No cracks, no melted plastic and perfect smooth tiny holes.
Do you know what size of a bit you used and how slow you went? Thansk!

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think I used a 3/32" bit and I varied the speed of the bit to cut through the center faster but slowed to a crawl to punch through the backside.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the replies!

Do you just heat it up on the stove or is there a better way to do this?
I turn the exhaust fan on and heat mine on the range top

As mentioned earlier, you should wash it with soap and water after your done to remove any toxins from heating plastic

Another thing to do is rub inside all of the new holes with your finger and make sure there are no sharp edges for your T to get injured on

---------- Post added 05-19-2014 at 04:06 PM ----------

I think I used a 3/32" bit and I varied the speed of the bit to cut through the center faster but slowed to a crawl to punch through the backside.
On hard plastic I use a 3/32" bit and heat the blunt end, not the drilling tip and melt the holes through it

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use my drill in a hand drill press stand; I do this for all my AMAC and other containers.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
If its hard plastic just go slowly and let the drill bit "melt" the plastic... your bit can go relatively fast but do not apply pressure just let it start warming up. The friction between the tip and plastic will cause heat... but the best way for me still is to just take an metal object heat it up and go pokie... :D

Im crazy... and I Love Ts!!!!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a lot of Container Store enclosures. I use a high speed drill. Bits from 1/16 to 5/32 depending on the size of the container and intended inhabitant. No pressure, let the weight of the drill carry the bit through. I've never had one crack.
For other types of plastic (large pretzel jars, tupperware type stuff, etc) I use a soldering iron with variable sized tips.
For deli and condiment cups a large gauge hypodermic needle works great. The beveled edge slides right through with a gentle twist. I always poke holes in these from the inside out so the sharp edge is to the outside away from the slings.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Using a drill is gud as its usually easy, most of the time i heat a small screwdriver with a lighter then melt it.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
You can control the size of the hole made by a soldering iron, it just depends on how hard you press and how hot it is at the time. My SO makes holes small enough for 3/4 slings not to be able to get through to larger holes for up to 6" adults, all with the same iron tip. For smaller holes we just use push pins or slender heated nails.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
How big can the holes be for 1/3" and 1.25" T's be? I was thinking about using a heated needle for the 1/3" but what size of drill bits are used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
I have a dremel but depending on the type of plastic it can be a pain. So I also have a hook screw thing. Take my butane lighter to it, heat it up nice and hot and it usually pokes two-three holes depending on how fast I am. Normal flick lighters are a pain so I avoid them. Butane lighters work so much quicker and just better overall. Clean it up with a little file after. The vials don't look perfect due to slight scratches with the file but it works just fine for the slings.

My biggest is still juvie sized but I wanted to make the enclosure look nice so I went the dremel route as it's more uniform.

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
On soft plastic iv'e used a push pin. After I poke the holes I do the otherside/inside it makes the holes a little bigger. On other stuff I heat a needle up with a lighter or stovetop. I've also used nails. Basically something metal and the size you want...

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Thanks for the replies! So a push pin sized hole would be good for a 1/3rd inch sling? Or would a smaller nail/drill bit be better?

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the replies! So a push pin sized hole would be good for a 1/3rd inch sling? Or would a smaller nail/drill bit be better?

ill go with the pin... i lost a very small b boehmei sling due to the holes being too big and believe me its a very $#1+ feeling!!