Carapace Remaining Attached

Pup0218

Arachnopeon
undefinedundefined

I hope I'm doing this right, this is the first time I've been on here. I'm looking for someone who can help my husband with his Tarantula. The last time she Molted only half of her Carapace came off, and this time the whole thing stayed on. Does anyone know what we can do to help her? Or does this mean she is going to dye? :?

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would wait and see if it will fall off. If not keep it in a warm moist environment eventually it will fall off

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The last time she Molted only half of her Carapace came off, and this time the whole thing stayed on
Does that mean she has 2 pieces of an old exoskeleton still attached to her?
How is that possible?

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
put her tank in the bathroom run hot water and shut the door to raise the humidity in the bathroom that might work as well

Pup0218

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Thanks to everyone who had suggestions for me, I'll try it.

To Diane S.
Yes, She has a peice of her last shed still attached to her Carapace from this shed. If that makes sence & This time none of her Carapace came off. The rest of her shed went fine. This is the 7th time she has Molted and normaly things go just fine. Weired, Hugh?

Last edited:

Darwinsdad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you might try and dab at it with some clean distilled water and a q-tip to soften the old skin a little. There may also be some other products that may work as well but steer WAY WAY clear of chemicals.

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dead skin not coming off

All of these responses are good ideas. If you are new to tarantulas, and have only one or a couple, chances are you have a new world (N. or S. American) species. These typically come from either rainforrests or deserts. Either way, if the skin isnt coming off, the humidity, like the previous commentors said, is probably too low. Do a google search on whatever species it is and a care sheet,... If in doubt, get a barometer, and keep the humidity around 75%. Ive encountered many new people in the hobby who typically feel that they are "over misting" with 2 squirts of water from something like a windex bottle, when in fact, most need to be misted about twice a week, and misted until it has the effect of a post-rain. (dont be afraid to get the terrrarium wet! however dont spray the spider itself, more than once, people have told me that bad things happened when they did.)

If youre brave, or comfortable enough, take some tweezers and every so gently pull the dead skin off, thats easy for me to say, but then again, I foolishly dont have as much fear as I probaby should. Good luck to ya! and most of all... HAVE FUN WITH YOUR TARANTULA(S)!! :)

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, She has a peice of her last shed still attached to her Carapace from this shed. If that makes sence & This time none of her Carapace came off. The rest of her shed went fine. This is the 7th time she has Molted and normaly things go just fine. Weired, Hugh?
That is weird! Do you have a photo?
I would think the ideas from the others are good to try. That thing has got to come off eventually. :rolleyes: