A.Avic eating tree frog (not for frog lovers)

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
My 3.5" sub-adult male pinktoe finally ate the 1" (2" legspan) tree frog after a week.

1. The frog was taking its daily bathing in the water bowl. "Pinky" sneaked down from the right flank and snatched it. It tried to leap away, but Pinky was faster and managed to grab its hind quarters. Then Pinky dragged it back up to where the photo shows, all the while with his front legs waving in a threat posture (I've never seen him doing this with crickets).
2. Side view
3. Close up
4. Bottom view

Attachments

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I think it is good for Ts to have different meals occasionally

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
first time seeing picturers of tarantulas eating a frog...kindda mean though

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hiya the threat posture most tarantulas assume when taking live prey ( not crickets) seems to be so thier legs are not damaged by the thrashing animal makes sence huh but in the wild most Avicularia sp and terrestrials if the chance arises will take frogs it has been noted that A versicolors diet mainly consists of tree frogs in the wild its right up there with H gigas eating fish. Im afriad that if hobbyists only feed crickets and carrion to their tarantulas then the real nature of the beast we keep will not be seen :8o you should see an arboreal take a large moth or butterfly on the wing its a fantastic sight im sure this is why tree spiders can jump as they mainly live on the same tree all there life this has to be a big part of catching prey

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
I see no problem even tho i like frogs so long as the frog is not rare i still swear by f/k mice for all the big SA species ppl use to say a mouse diet caused bad moult's that may be so for smaller species that would not eat many vertebrates but im yet to try doing it and so long as the spiders not over fed a say a fuzz every 3-4 months it should be fine for any adult iv kept a B.smithi and B.albo like that for 8 years (there now 17 and 12) without any thing else as food with no problem.

sanguinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice looking tank. Very natural looking. I just have my Avic.avic in an upside down peanut butter jar with some cork, some vermiculite, and a bottle cap for a waterdish.

-GOD bless, Clint

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bad for t's ???

as long as the frog was "clean" i dont see why it would be bad ( i am certianly no expert) :? what other things are good for t's? i have two avic avic's and they have eaten cricks since i got them, i have thought of waxworms. but the local shop dont offer much.

arachnoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pretty cool. I agree with Richard in that our inverts should be allowed to eat what they may in the wild. Maybe not all the time but some of the time.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
RichardDegville said:
Hiya the threat posture most tarantulas assume when taking live prey ( not crickets) seems to be so thier legs are not damaged by the thrashing animal.
When I feed the occasional Anole, I've seen several of my pokies threat-display them but once the anole has been caught I've observed them definitely making an effort to keep their legs clear of possible damage.
It does make sense they would avoid physical damage but it makes sense why they would threaten the bigger prey as well.

BakuBak said:
bed idea to feed ts with frogs ,,,,
Could be depending on the species of frog, no?

Atrax

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Killer pics by the way, JohnXII!

It may be a good idea to do a little checking in to what particular species of frog your Avic feeds on in nature. Obviously, many frogs are toxic to predators. I don't know much (by "not much" I mean not a clue ;)) about toxic frogs or an Avics immunity to toxic prey etc.etc.. but it can't hurt to question it for the sake of your T.

Laters.

Atrax

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Pheonixx - it may be bed for them eaven if frogs are clear
Atrax - Yes the species is very important , but eaven those 'harmles 4 ts' species may be bed for them ,,, - they ar allways a little bit toxic and may have parasits, and i heard accidents that ts dies after frog meal - it dont have to happend but it may , thus is why i am saying thet they are bed

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow lovin the pics... ahhh mula would hate me if i fed a tree frog to a T..(mula is a tree frog)hahaha...

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tree Frogs

I personally dont feed my spiders frogs. Last weekend, my friends here in TN found two tree frogs in their yard, and fed them to a giant Nhandu colloratovillosus, and a Haplopelma sp. killing both of them the next day. So I learned from their mistake and only stick with what i know, captive bred crickets, occasional mice, and my most spectaculat Death's Head roach colony. If you got the right sort of frogs and it works for you, then thats ah-sum! rock on.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Bakubak, check out the recent thread by Martin on the shaky T's. Even crickets can be infected by parasites!. As for toxicity, "Pinky" seems to be doing fine. Healthy and plump and all... so I think he liked it.

The tree frog is quite common in pet trade and I was told by a frog expert that it's non-toxic (meaning low toxicity I guess) and can be handled. Cost about USD$1 near where I work... so I decided to give it a try.

Last edited:

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

RichardDegville said:
it has been noted that A versicolors diet mainly consists of tree frogs in the wild
any references for this?

all the best,
Martin

Mikey_G.Rosea

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My ROSIE loves tree frogs, and crickets, and anything else she can eat! Lol!

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Martin H. said:
Hi,

any references for this?

all the best,
Martin
I've heard the same from former area residents about the frogs- lots of small frogs and the tree spiders that eat them. I live in a primarily Caribbean neighborhood, so bear in mind I hear a lot about voodoo and "crab" (huntsmen?) spiders the size of one's face, too (yeah, right). I also heard there's a sort of large, Pepsis-like wasp in PR that uses tarantulas like they do in the southwest. Any info on that?
Anyway, when distilled, it makes for more reliable info than one gets from a dealer's site.
I think I read the frog thing somewhere from Charpentier also. In any case, given the fauna of the flora, it seems likely, unless the individual spider lives in a palmetto. I'm sure they adapt to the big, tasty palmetto bugs (giant roaches!) too.
I regularly give some of my spiders large, wild-caught tree frogs (I should call them screen-room-door frogs or side-of-my-truck frogs, as that's where I get 'em). No ill-results to date.

-Garrick

eight