normal behavior for orthoporus texicolens desert millipede?

mukmewx

Arachnosquire
I have 6 of these guys, one of them I see almost 100% of the time, 2 others I see sometimes time out in open or they are curled up under the log in the picture. One other I see sometimes, and 2 others I haven't seen in over a week. I have them in a 29 gallon tank with a mix of coco fiber, spagnaum moss, oak leaves, and rotting hardwood (previously filled with bugs, before baking it)misted daily. I also added a layer of oak leaves(which I don't mist) to a section of the top for a dry variety.

Attachments

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I don't see what you could do about the behavior even if things were going badly. If nobody is dying I would not worry about it :)

Nice habitat BTW!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What a nice setup! I see yours have a lot of individual variation in color, I really like that about this species.

Mine are out nearly all of the time too. I've had em for nearly a year without any losses, so I don't think it's a sign of anything wrong. Don't worry if your pedes go missing for a few weeks, they might be molting.

mukmewx

Arachnosquire
Thanks you guys! Just like to make sure I'm doing everything I can as I 've put lots of time into this. It's nice to get feedback from people that know millipedes, most of my friends and family think I'm a bit off my rocker and don't understand.

wastedwoodsman

Arachnosquire
Thanks you guys! Just like to make sure I'm doing everything I can as I 've put lots of time into this. It's nice to get feedback from people that know millipedes, most of my friends and family think I'm a bit off my rocker and don't understand.
Just because most people don't understand our attachment insects and such doesn't mean you are off your rocker! Just do the things that make you happy and go where your dreams are! It obviously shows that you enjoy millipedes as your set up is very nice! I think your millipedes will do great in the long run! Good luck.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've had em for nearly a year without any losses, so I don't think it's a sign of anything wrong.
Can you explain to us your ventilation and moist levels? What are your food sources? How deep and what type of substrate do you have? A year without any losses for this species is very impressive. You are doing something right. :)

mukmewx

Arachnosquire
Ive also got them with about 30 bumblebee pedes, which I rarely see. I'm thinking about moving them to a different 8 gallon( it's almost as long as a 10 gallon) tank. Is it okay to move them if im careful? And is that an okay amount to be in a tank of that size?

---------- Post added 06-03-2014 at 05:14 PM ----------

I would actually really rather not bother with the bumblebee relocation, I just worry about getting babies from the orthoporus texicolens if there is any problem there? That's my big goal is to get them to breed. I know I shouldn't have a problem with the bumblebees. I'm mostly concerned about the overall well-being of the orthoporus texicolens, since the bumblebees seem to be hardier.

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Ive also got them with about 30 bumblebee pedes, which I rarely see. I'm thinking about moving them to a different 8 gallon( it's almost as long as a 10 gallon) tank. Is it okay to move them if im careful? And is that an okay amount to be in a tank of that size?

---------- Post added 06-03-2014 at 05:14 PM ----------

I would actually really rather not bother with the bumblebee relocation, I just worry about getting babies from the orthoporus texicolens if there is any problem there? That's my big goal is to get them to breed. I know I shouldn't have a problem with the bumblebees. I'm mostly concerned about the overall well-being of the orthoporus texicolens, since the bumblebees seem to be hardier.
You can always move some of the bumblebees to another tank...that would be prudent anyway. I move millipedes all the time. I have to. I go through the substrate with a fine-tooth comb (not literally). I just sort of brush it away and mound it up on one side of the aquarium, removing any millipedes I find and putting them in a plastic container. I gently place molting pedes in a seperate container on paper towel or the substrate from their enclosure. You might damage a few, or even kill some--its possible--but with care (being careful can take an hour or two) its far better to relocate the pedes if something is wrong with the enclosure (such as the substrate being exhausted, which leads to a strange flameleg disease) than leave them in. Most of the time everyone is fine.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you explain to us your ventilation and moist levels? What are your food sources? How deep and what type of substrate do you have? A year without any losses for this species is very impressive. You are doing something right. :)
I kept them in a large KK with my usual substrate mix of 50% cocofiber, 25% rotten wood, 25% dead leaves, and an extra layer of dead leaves on top. The substrate reached nearly the top of the KK. I mist once or twice a week as the top layer of sub dries out.

I felt like they needed more space so a few days ago I moved them into a big plastic sweater box with way more airholes than I usually add (Millipedes in Captivity says these guys need a lot more ventilation than most pedes). They started mating before I even finished the rehousing. I've found them mating several times over the past year, but never got any offspring.

I give them a piece of dog kibble or some fruit of vegetables every couple weeks. I've noticed this species LOVES carrots, which my other pedes aren't real fond of.

I hope this is helpful for everyone!

Edit: I'm not 100% if mine are orthoporus or texicolens. They were collected in central Texas and have the gold/brown bands rather than the solid dark markings.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I kept them in a large KK with my usual substrate mix of 50% cocofiber, 25% rotten wood, 25% dead leaves, and an extra layer of dead leaves on top. The substrate reached nearly the top of the KK. I mist once or twice a week as the top layer of sub dries out.

I felt like they needed more space so a few days ago I moved them into a big plastic sweater box with way more airholes than I usually add (Millipedes in Captivity says these guys need a lot more ventilation than most pedes). They started mating before I even finished the rehousing. I've found them mating several times over the past year, but never got any offspring.

I give them a piece of dog kibble or some fruit of vegetables every couple weeks. I've noticed this species LOVES carrots, which my other pedes aren't real fond of.

I hope this is helpful for everyone!

Edit: I'm not 100% if mine are orthoporus or texicolens. They were collected in central Texas and have the gold/brown bands rather than the solid dark markings.
Thanks! Sounds like you just do not keep them as moist and give them more ventilation. Carrots!?! Cool...like my giant pink legs...they love carrots. None of my other millis like carrot much.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks! Sounds like you just do not keep them as moist and give them more ventilation. Carrots!?! Cool...like my giant pink legs...they love carrots. None of my other millis like carrot much.
Have you been having trouble keeping Orthoporus? I just knew they were impossible to breed, I didn't know they had a reputation as difficult to keep. My D. macracanthus doesn't really like carrots, I wonder if he's just an oddball.

After looking up the difference in Orthoporus (on google image search) I'm wondering if mukmewx has both texicolens and and ornatus. Can we see a bigger picture of your striped and all brown ones side by side?

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you been having trouble keeping Orthoporus? I just knew they were impossible to breed, I didn't know they had a reputation as difficult to keep. My D. macracanthus doesn't really like carrots, I wonder if he's just an oddball.

After looking up the difference in Orthoporus (on google image search) I'm wondering if mukmewx has both texicolens and and ornatus. Can we see a bigger picture of your striped and all brown ones side by side?
They tend to be more prone to die off but most people keep them too moist with not enough ventilation. That's weird that your D. macracanthus does not like carrots. Mine eat them up like crazy! :)

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They tend to be more prone to die off but most people keep them too moist with not enough ventilation. That's weird that your D. macracanthus does not like carrots. Mine eat them up like crazy! :)
Ohh I see, I just went by the book. My pinkleg does like apple, I need to experiment with a wider range of produce though.

I have a question for mukmewx, I see you provide fresh greens for your pedes. Do they eat those? I've never thought to try it.

mukmewx

Arachnosquire
Its just live clover, they don't seem to eat it. I did try to plant a large mushroom that I found in the yard and ive seen them eating it several times. My thinking was that since the pedes need more ventilation maybe the plants would help because ive heard they give off oxygen and take in carbon dioxide, but that could be a myth or I could be crazy. I bought these off of greenjewls and they were supposed to be texicolens but he has both so maybe he gave me both I will try and post a picture when I see them out again.

wastedwoodsman

Arachnosquire
Ohh I see, I just went by the book. My pinkleg does like apple, I need to experiment with a wider range of produce though.

I have a question for mukmewx, I see you provide fresh greens for your pedes. Do they eat those? I've never thought to try it.
I feed all my pedes lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, zuchinni, bananas, celery and just about anything but citrus and they seem to really like the variety but some of the other stuff like bananas rot fairly quick so they require changing frequently.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its just live clover, they don't seem to eat it. I did try to plant a large mushroom that I found in the yard and ive seen them eating it several times. My thinking was that since the pedes need more ventilation maybe the plants would help because ive heard they give off oxygen and take in carbon dioxide, but that could be a myth or I could be crazy. I bought these off of greenjewls and they were supposed to be texicolens but he has both so maybe he gave me both I will try and post a picture when I see them out again.
A screen top will provide all the ventilation you need. I tried growing plants in a pede tank when I first started keeping them, but they died off from poor lighting. Yes you are correct, plants do take in carbon dioxide and give off oxygen (but only during the day while photosynthesizing).

I could be wrong. I'm not sure on the specifics of how to tell apart ornatus and texicolens, I don't want to imply anything bad about greenjewls!

In my experience millipedes LOVE mushrooms, I had a mushroom infestation in several tanks but the pedes kept eating them before they could fruit so they're gone now.

I feed all my pedes lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, zuchinni, bananas, celery and just about anything but citrus and they seem to really like the variety but some of the other stuff like bananas rot fairly quick so they require changing frequently.
I hear roaches love citrus, so I've always been tempted to try it with millipedes, but I'm afraid to make them sick. Has anyone tried this?

mukmewx

Arachnosquire
Here is a photo I took this morning, I wad lucky enough to find them this way this morning when I turned their light on. And it's totally fine if he gave me some ornatus, since they were more expensive! Lol :D

Attachments

mukmewx

Arachnosquire
Lol its a pecan, why? I also just found out some bad news, the tree I collected the wood from is pine, I only know this because I went back to where I gathered it and saw the bark.. I didnt think about it because it was full of bugs, like I found 2 rather large centipedes inside of it! Do I need to replace asap or can it wait until I do full cleaning sometime in the future?

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The banded ones look just like mine, so I do think you got two different species. Either way they're all very pretty!

I never thought about feeding millipedes nuts. Do they like it?

I wouldn't take the risk, personally. I say change the sub immediately.