First post - Glass or Plastic Exo Terra?

CaraMia

Arachnopeon
Hey all, been lurking around this forum for a while and finally joined!

I currently have two slings (1 Heteroscodra maculata and 1 Pterinochilus murinus) that I love despite their feisty attitudes. :biggrin:

Both are currently in the 2-2.5 inch range and so I am looking to upgrade to the next size up enclosure soon. (Housed separately of course).

I am looking into two types of exo-terras and I was hoping to get opinions on both, as I am torn as to which to purchase.

Enclosure 1: Exo terra breeder box (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B596PI...lid=1K1QRA2BAN6VM&coliid=I3F461OE98Y324&psc=1)

Pros:
Cheaper
LOVE the idea of a little feeding door, especially with these guys
Seems to have good visibility
No screen on the top of the enclosure for little tarantula legs to get stuck in
Stackable

Cons
Not as nice looking
Not as tall as the glass exo terra - I'm not sure at what point the Heteroscodra maculata will decide to be arboreal

Enclosure 2:
Exo Terra Glass Nano

Pros
Looks lovely
Taller than the breeder box
Good visibility
Rock formation included

Cons
Screen on top of cage may catch tarantula legs
I'm not convinced it's escape proof
More expensive

What do you guys think? I've pretty much narrowed my options down to these two cages but am open to other ideas as well.

And thanks for having me! Seems like a good forum and I hope to learn a lot to keep my tarantulas happy and healthy.

---------- Post added 06-05-2014 at 01:03 PM ----------

I forgot to include a link to the Exo Terra Glass Nano cage, so here it is for reference http://www.amazon.com/Terra-Glass-T...qid=1401987283&sr=8-2&keywords=exo+terra+nano

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't even consider mine arboreal. I keep it in a taller tank and despite being a juvie, it still prefers to burrow.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

CaraMia

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your suggestion! I think I actually have that size Kritter Keeper somewhere, I just liked the little feeding door on the breeder box. It would be nice to have something with more height though. Can I ask why you don't recommend the nano for OBTs?

skippydude

Arachnobaron
I like something that opens from the top for them, they are more apt to throw a threat pose to you overhead and teleport at you for a bite if disturbed from the side.

Webbing gets a little out of hand for side entrance too IMO

CaraMia

Arachnopeon
Thanks! I decided to go ahead with one of the plastic style ones vs the nano. Will have to get a nano for something else, they look so neat!

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I figured I'd add my two cents worth: I have a strong preference for plastic enclosures simply because I have cats. That way on the off chance that someone manages to knock an enclosure off my bookshelf, it's likely to stay in one piece and probably even stay closed. The T might get hurt in the fall, but at least it won't get munched by a cat, or decide to munch back.

GSA8

Arachnopeon
The exo-terras can be retrofitted to solid top fairly easily. Pull the screen off and silicone plexiglass with drilled airholes in place of the screen. It really depends on how handy you are at DIY. You could always lock the front doors if you're too worried about swinging doors and an agressive T, and feed through the top (the top has locking snaps that hold it down). Just a few suggestions. I personally like the Exo-Terra type vivs with the front open doors, though I do have regular 2.5, 5, and 10 gallon glass aquariums in use as well.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
The exo-terras can be retrofitted to solid top fairly easily. Pull the screen off and silicone plexiglass with drilled airholes in place of the screen. It really depends on how handy you are at DIY. You could always lock the front doors if you're too worried about swinging doors and an agressive T, and feed through the top (the top has locking snaps that hold it down). Just a few suggestions. I personally like the Exo-Terra type vivs with the front open doors, though I do have regular 2.5, 5, and 10 gallon glass aquariums in use as well.
Very good point, I didn't even consider using the screen top for a door :?

CaraMia

Arachnopeon
That is an excellent idea. I'm not very handy but maybe I can give it a try and use the nano for something else. Great suggestion!