how smart are they

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Yes, but the size and quantity summoned depend on your level of experience. As long as you are a bard, binder, cleric, sorceror or wizard, you can summon them. Personally, I would wait til you hit level 5 and can summon a phase spider.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
can taratulas be called or summond and will they appear?
That's an indicator of intelligence? There's are situations where that's a sign of stupidity. Besides, do humans necessarily come when they're summoned? Just ask judges and policeman about that. You are aware spiders have no ears, so calling them would indicate a lack of intelli\gence on the part of the person doing the calling.

You really ought to put more thought into your questions.

AgVet09

Arachnopeon
The wording of his question makes me think (hope) he was joking. But, FYI, I totally summon mine with my mind powers and they come like the Winds of Vengeance to wash over my enemies. Why else do you think I keep tarantulas?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Many of mine can be 'summoned' on feeding day. Many of my Ts who typically hide will come out of their burrows, tube webs, etc in anticipation of a meal before I even get to them. Maybe it is the smell of crickets and roaches 'cooking' that draws them... I call it instinct. :)

katluc

Arachnopeon
I take mine on a leash for walkies and they're learning to say Mummy now.....but that's my dogs. My Ts don't come when I call them, they run away. I take that as a sign of survival instinct but not intelligence as we'd know it. Maybe they can eventually learn to come for food when they recognise the vibration of the human cricket machine :)

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
to quote my signature (my time to shine!) "all my charanchulas come when they're called. They have a super developed ganglion that allows them to comprehend anthropomorphism."
there was this exact same conversation some months ago ahaha!

skippydude

Arachnobaron
They're not going to come running like hungry pigs when you belch out "Soooooooooeeeeeee" but males come when females drum, so I believe there is a language that will bring your T's out of hiding. If one mastered the language of vibrations, surely you could get your charanchulas to do all kinds of neat stuff.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This question alone makes me suspect that the person asking it may just be a troll.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually, wild tarantulas can be 'tickled' out of their burrows. I wouldn't consider that a sign of intelligence since it usually leads to their capture and/or demise.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Yes, but the size and quantity summoned depend on your level of experience. As long as you are a bard, binder, cleric, sorceror or wizard, you can summon them. Personally, I would wait til you hit level 5 and can summon a phase spider.
but even at a level 5 you would need to roll a 10 to perform the spell

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
but even at a level 5 you would need to roll a 10 to perform the spell
True, but you're talking about an animal that can basically ethereal jaunt as a free action at your command! That's worth rolling for!

---------- Post added 06-07-2014 at 06:25 PM ----------

Mee Too. But....this will go for like 9 pages while all my brilliant posts fall away in one day;( Go figure.
Yeah, but did you make your "page one" saving throw???? Better have a high Charisma!

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
Do tarantulas get songs stuck in their heads?
But srsly I have noticed "preference" with handlers . Ex: im pretty sure my p. cancerides Loves my gf and tolerates me :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
yes and no. Yes you can kind of summon them by "tickling" (The process of taking one small piece of grass or mono filament and creating vibrations imitating prey causing the tarantula to pounce or creep out of hiding and investigate. Survival only requires the right amount of fear for predators and right amount of confidence for prey. Tarantulas have these as do any other living thing. Tarantulas are minimalist... Minimal care, Minimal food, minimal water, minimal energy and minimal intelligence.

hope this helps
It's ok to make a little fun but very few people answered the question. Thanks elliotysses, a perfect example :)

No matter how ridiculous the question may seem to you answer POLITELY! A great way to get people started int he hobby is by making them feel like idiots... Respect people and there questions as this is a place to learn, not to mock.

Last edited:

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Smarter than most inverts, but ca't hear you, didn'tcreceive affectionnate parental care and cannot be bribed with food....

Orpheusr0ck

Arachnopeon
Every feeding time, i can summon mine by standing in front of the enclosure wearing a pirate hat and red boxers while singing amazing grace an octave higher than normal.

In all seriousness, no they can't be summoned

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, tarantulas do not come when called. The way in which they detect sound vibrations means they don't interpret voices in anything like the way in which we hear them. I have seen Ts exhibit basic learned behavior in the form of stimulus response, as others have mentioned. I have had Ts that seemed to recognize, after many repetitions over time, that the removal of the tank lid = feeding time. I also suspect that a regularly-handled T can become accustomed to it in some way. Whether that means strictly the practice of being held, or no longer fearing the particular scent that I'm sure we all have to Ts, I don't know.

As far as any other more advanced form of learning - nope. They can adapt from existing behavior to a degree - use objects that would not be found in the wild in a similar fashion to how they would use other items in the wild, such as incorporating objects into burrows and webs. But aside from that, no - Ts aren't like dogs or cats. And as others have mentioned, they can also be fooled - how many times have I seen a T attack the water dish when that first bit of water strikes the dish and then suddenly back off, as if the initial vibration was mistaken for food?