Leg curled under

Zorack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I went to look at my P. Mirums (spelling) and it has its right leg curled under, is this normal is it rubbing itself or something (it molted 2 days back)

please help

Last edited:

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine crunches legs under it an appears to be grooming upon closer inspection. :) The pink toe does this the most often. leave it alone and observe :)

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Murinus with legs under

Someone has to be the negative aspect of reasoning, so I will volunteer. Everytime one of my tarantulas was found sitting with its legs curled under it, it died within the next 2-3 days, so one can draw the conclusion that it is not a good sign. Take a pencil eraser and give it a lil tap on its behind, if it doesnt react and just stays with its legs underneath, then you can draw the obvious conclusion, which is the one we never want to, but sometimes must. I hope the previous posters are right about it just grooming itself, however it would be moving around, especially 3 days after a successful molt.

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
RazorRipley said:
Someone has to be the negative aspect of reasoning, so I will volunteer. Everytime one of my tarantulas was found sitting with its legs curled under it, it died within the next 2-3 days, so one can draw the conclusion that it is not a good sign. Take a pencil eraser and give it a lil tap on its behind, if it doesnt react and just stays with its legs underneath, then you can draw the obvious conclusion, which is the one we never want to, but sometimes must. I hope the previous posters are right about it just grooming itself, however it would be moving around, especially 3 days after a successful molt.
Just out of curiosity, what was the cause of death?
Mine were always active and never just STAYED in what I found was a grooming posture. Also, my A Avic had a messed up leg thatstarted out crunched under and then later stuck straight out. It fell off day before yesterday and it's doing great now and active as ever. Hopefully it will regenerate next molt.

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
bwaa, doesn't mean it's gonna die because it curles the legs...

this spider is still alive, months after taking this pic...
it just likes to kneel... that's all...
and no, in this pic she isn't grooming... stayed like this for hours...

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
SeekneSs said:
bwaa, doesn't mean it's gonna die because it curles the legs...

this spider is still alive, months after taking this pic...
it just likes to kneel... that's all...
and no, in this pic she isn't grooming... stayed like this for hours...
The back legs aren't curled. ;P

It's when ALL the legs are curled when you have to worry. I received a G grossa that was like that, not a full death curl but quite close, thought it was a little shaken up from shipping so I waited to see if it would snap out of it - it died a few hours later. A few days later, I also received an A moderatum in a similar position but not nearly as bad as the grossa, having lost the grossa recently- I imediately put it in a warm room at 80-84F and its stance opened up a few hours later. Don't know if the warmer temps helped, but it did not hurt to try it.

rosco1585

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i dunno about you guys but that shot of the red knee looks awesome to me..haha

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the spider is fine, when you see maybe all or almost all its legs curled under then you can worry. my T's do this sometimes with one or two legs curled under, it's nothing to worry about. some people on these boards seem to be really negative not only on this thread either. :mad:

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice pic. Also, goodluck with your T. I've never seen one keep its legs like that for an extended period of time, but hopefully it's allright. Let us know if it turns out allright or not.