End of the School Year Present

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Before I get started:

Before you say "WE TOLD YOU NOT TO GET ANOTHER TARANTULA GO DIE IN HELL" I did not voluntarily buy this and I did not want to upset my family by saying no, so don't go monkey style on me ;)

Now....

I received this today:

I believe it is an A. hentzi, but I am not sure. I have not named it yet, but I am working on it.

So, new T. What insults do you have prepared for me?

Last edited by a moderator:

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
well that first sentence seems a little harsh... Unless you like burning your T's with a magnifying glass I don't know who one here would tell you that...

Any way congratulations on your new friend! Aren't birthday pets the best :D good luck keeping him and keep us updataed :)
sorry I cant help with ID :(

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
If you only knew...

Anyway, this one might actually be more your speed; those are hardy, much less delicate than a sling. I'd change out those wood chips though in favor of actual substrate, like dry coco or soil so she's as comfortable as possible. I wish you luck with her.

cold blood

Staff member
Good hardy t. If I am not mistaken it was slings that seemed to be your biggest obstacle. This should be much easier and inspire the confidence you need to go forward. Best of luck.

awiec

Arachnoprince
A nice pretty and hardy T. Just calm down a little, give her some deeper sub and she will be with you for a very long time. These I think grow even slower than rosea and thus have lower food requirements and need a simple bowl of water to keep them happy. Slings are delicate and require a little more finesse, so this girl is perfect for you as this genus is pretty forgiving as adults.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Upon further examination, I believe it is a Aphonopelma chalcodes since the leg sections where chalcodes have their light color are lighter than the rest of the leg.

Here is a photo for proof:

EDIT: Also it's name is Blondie (no relation to Therphosa blondi)

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wrong substrate, way too much space for the T to climb, fall and possibly injure itself / die in the worst case.

- remove wood chips, offer dry cocofiber / ecoearth
- either rehouse into less huge cage, or fill substrate ~1.5x leg-span of spider under the lid to reduce risk of injury

My 2 cents...

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wrong substrate, way too much space for the T to climb, fall and possibly injure itself / die in the worst case.

- remove wood chips, offer dry cocofiber / ecoearth
- either rehouse into less huge cage, or fill substrate ~1.5x leg-span of spider under the lid to reduce risk of injury

My 2 cents...
I am aware of all of this, the cage came with the spider. I will change the substrate as soon as I can. However, I'm not so sure about the cage since my Dad is stingy :mad:

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

awiec

Arachnoprince
I am aware of all of this, the cage came with the spider. I will change the substrate as soon as I can. However, I'm not so sure about the cage since my Dad is stingy :mad:

Well as long as you make sure the spider gets her food then a large cage won't be the end of the world. The sub does need to be changed ASAP. Offer to do some chores or mow some lawns to get the extra money for some coco fiber or pesticide free soil/peat moss from a garden section (you live in the garden state correct?). I waited until I had some cash flow until I got really serious into exotic pets as I can make sure I have everything exactly how I want it instead of bugging my parents for cash. Only thing I ask of my parents is to tell me when they put Frontline (is thought to be linked to DKS) on the dogs and don't spray the house down with pesticides; they humor me on those fronts but thats it.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
uploadfromtaptalk1402789223234.jpg

Also as you see he/she also has a small ulcer on the underside of his/her abdomen from the bad substrate :(

awiec

Arachnoprince
View attachment 127542

Also as you see he/she also has a small ulcer on the underside of his/her abdomen from the bad substrate :(

The best thing you can do for her is to get better sub as suggested and then feed her light meals as to not put stress on the ulcer, hopefully it will go away with her next molt (which may take a few years).

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
*smh*...

as said new sub.. even plain dirt would work these are pretty hardy.. the bald spot should molt out id assume def more sub look liek thats a plastic plant? or is it a dying real one? either way might want to double check there is no burs on it.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Change substrate out. Get some all natural/organic/nontreated potting soil or some sort of Eco Earth.
A. hentzi, those are cool. Slow growers, hardy.

Add more sub., since if it tries to climb the glass and falls, long fall.

"So, new T. What insults do you have prepared for me?"
And honestly, if you expect insults/angry people, why would you post then?
Not like anyone would insult you unless you did something extremely careless or not smart.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just inflated a new block of coco fiber substrate and wrung all uneeded moisture out of it. Should be ready after it dries out a little more :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Change substrate out. Get some all natural/organic/nontreated potting soil or some sort of Eco Earth.
A. hentzi, those are cool. Slow growers, hardy.

Add more sub., since if it tries to climb the glass and falls, long fall.

"So, new T. What insults do you have prepared for me?"
And honestly, if you expect insults/angry people, why would you post then?
Not like anyone would insult you unless you did something extremely careless or not smart.
The OP has had some difficulty in the past with slings, so some people have been a little harsh but this T should be more up to his speed and should thrive.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
The OP has had some difficulty in the past with slings, so some people have been a little harsh but this T should be more up to his speed and should thrive.
agree tho im not sure i believe it was just given to him for completing a yr of school [no offence op iv seen similar lies many times] but this guy has a bit of size. not to mention Aphonopelma are in my opinion one of the hardiest sp. id say so long as he puts apropriate amount of sub and a water dish this T should thrive and live quite a long life

awiec

Arachnoprince
agree tho im not sure i believe it was just given to him for completing a yr of school [no offence op iv seen similar lies many times] but this guy has a bit of size. not to mention Aphonopelma are in my opinion one of the hardiest sp. id say so long as he puts apropriate amount of sub and a water dish this T should thrive and live quite a long life
It was indeed a gift, luckily his parents did not get him an OBT, this is the probably the best T that he could have received.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
It was indeed a gift, luckily his parents did not get him an OBT, this is the probably the best T that he could have received.
as i said im not trying to be mean iv just seen in herp forums with scenarios like this where they cant keep a lizard alive or something and say "i got it as a gift for.." and bought it from like craigslist but if you say it was ill believe ya.. we are indeed lucky the family didnt like the "pretty orange one" or the "lovely blue ones[livid or poec] "

but 100% agree great T he can probably never kill. should have no problems outside of the random refusal of food or god forbid escape. and will have it for a long long time