G. rosea sling leg regeneration

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A while back I posted on a G. rosea sling I have that had a couple of screwed up legs and it had moulted and had the entire shed skin stuck to it by those two screwed up legs. Well I gave it a few weeks to drop the legs on it's own and it never did. I ended up removing both of those legs and was hoping it would regenerate those upon successive moults. Well the sling had it's first moult after leg removal and the two legs are semi regenerated but they are useless and they are dangling and kind of shriveled. Is this normal or do I need to remove the legs again? The legs are looking like they did before the sling moulted and got the shed stuck to itself in the first place. :confused:

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kosh.
It is normal for broken legs to come back after the next molt looking like dried up noodles. It can take several molts for legs to come back to full capacity. Don't worry too much. As long as he/she is still able to move around and catch prey insects, it will be ok.

Eric
www.e-spiderworld.com

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I removed the two bad legs several months ago (see this thread) and they came back in the next moult as "dried up noodles" and the spider just moulted again last week and the whole shed skin was stuck on these two legs again and the sling was struggling to be mobile. Luckily I was able to catch the sling soon enough after the moult that the shed was not totally dry so we wrestled together and removed the shed skin from the two legs. The two legs are still dried up noodles (almost on backwards and pointing up in the air) and I'm just wondering and wanting some reassurance that this is normal and that someday this little guy will regenerate the legs normally. Do they need to be removed again? Sorry if I sound so ignorant on this but this is my first experience with this type of thing and I want to get through it correctly. That is really why I kept this sling out of the 330+ from my eggsack is to experience the regeneration process. Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought an adult G.rosea with only 7 legs. After 2 molts it still has 7 legs. I don't think the new legs were lost in the molts, I checked. I am totally perplexed. It is a healthy spider in every other respect. Ts follow no strict rules.