Before I purchase my first tarantulas...

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I've made up my mind about what species to get, and picked B. Smithi, B. Emilia, and P. Cancerides, all 1+ inch. A freebie, G. Pulchripes is also up for grabs, however since it is 1/3 inch I might not choose it.

I have few, actually, many questions:

1.) I'll be keeping them in my apartment room and plan on getting a space heater since I share the apartment with others. What is the optimum temperature I should keep them at?

2.) How often should I mist them? They're all considered slings still, correct me if I'm wrong, and I've heard they should be kept moist until they are 2"+ then they can be kept like their adult counterparts?

3.) For all of them, since they are all 1"+, I'm planning to pick up 4" x 4" x 4" Amac boxes for enclosures. For the 1/3 inch, if I do choose it, Ill get a 2 1/2" x 3" Amac box and fill it up mostly with substrate. Is this fine for all of them?

4.) I'm planning to use peat moss, no additives, and I've already read on the reviews for this particular brand that someone has or is still using it as sub. Would this be fine? Even for the brachypelmas since they are a desert dwelling species?

5.) I'm planning to feed all of them, if possible, prekilled mealworms or cut up mealworms to negate the use of crickets. Until they're able to kill dubia nymphs or larger. Is this okay?

6.) I've also come up with future enclosures so I can save money and buy them all at once:

Size: 13" x 7-1/2" x 4-1/4" h
(For 2.5-4" inch, and I'll use about 2" of sub)
Size: 15-5/8" x 13-1/8" x 6-3/4" h
(4-6", and then use 3 inch of sub)

Is this okay?

7.) Ties back to the previous question, Emilia and Smithi aren't really burrowing species from what I heard, so if I offer a hide, would that about of sub be okay? The Canceridies and Pulchripes are going to get larger so I'll bump them up to a larger enclosure when needed and offer more sub when the time comes.

8.) Transportation and breaks! I live about 5 hours away from my university. I'll be getting them before I go to the apartment so how should I transport them? Put them back into the deli cups/vials they came in and then add a cool pack or heat pack (during the winter)? (Where do I get then locally by any chance?) I live in the Midwest so it might be pretty hot.

As for breaks, I plan on staying at the apartment mainly, however, I might go back home for a week, is it okay if I leave them at my apartment if I just change the ambient temp in the apartment and fill their water dishes? I also plan on leaving the state for a week so how should I go about prepping them?

9.) Water dishes! What size would be fine with water dishes? If 1"+ is already good enough, what size of a water dish should be good?

And that's all that I have currently, sorry if they're idiotic questions, I just want to be prepared! Thanks if you can answer them!

I'm currently still here in South America, but I do have a surprise! I found a tarantula species, even when I was told none were at this elevation. I was even told it could be a new species! I'll post pictures when I get back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
i have a 2" b. smithi in a kritter keeper with about 4" of substrate. i provided a hide, which he promptly dug a burrow underneath of, and used the substrate to block off the front part of his hide. it's been that way 2+ months and he is only now going into pre-molt. so, yes, some brachy's will burrow if given the opportunity.

also, keep in mind if you're getting the brachy's at 1", you may have several years to wait before you get a chance to use those adult-size enclosures.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on taking the T plunge!

Don't worry about taking a freebie that size, I hear G. pulchripes is very hardy. The only issue might be getting small enough food items.

(I'm only gonna answer the ones I'm confident of my knowledge on)

1.) I'll be keeping them in my apartment room and plan on getting a space heater since I share the apartment with others. What is the optimum temperature I should keep them at?
Unless your place gets really cold or hot, room temperature is fine. I keep mine between 70 and 79. If you have a space heater you may need to water them more often.

2.) How often should I mist them? They're all considered slings still, correct me if I'm wrong, and I've heard they should be kept moist until they are 2"+ then they can be kept like their adult counterparts?
I moisten a corner of the substrate once a week or so (I wait for the wet spot to dry up before watering again)

3.) For all of them, since they are all 1"+, I'm planning to pick up 4" x 4" x 4" Amac boxes for enclosures. For the 1/3 inch, if I do choose it, Ill get a 2 1/2" x 3" Amac box and fill it up mostly with substrate. Is this fine for all of them?
I recently switched over to Amac boxes and I LOVE them (the Ts seem to as well). My only complaint is drilling air holes is super tedious.

As for breaks, I plan on staying at the apartment mainly, however, I might go back home for a week, is it okay if I leave them at my apartment if I just change the ambient temp in the apartment and fill their water dishes? I also plan on leaving the state for a week so how should I go about prepping them?
I've left my T's for a week a couple times, it's a bit nerve wracking but goes perfectly fine. I just feed mine a little extra and moisten the sub well before I go, and ask a friend to stop by and check the apartment temperature once in a while.

9.) Water dishes! What size would be fine with water dishes? If 1"+ is already good enough, what size of a water dish should be good?
Plastic bottle caps with a pebble in them for juvies, I'd wait till 1.5" though.

I'm currently still here in South America, but I do have a surprise! I found a tarantula species, even when I was told none were at this elevation. I was even told it could be a new species! I'll post pictures when I get back!
That's really cool! Can't wait to see the photos.

awiec

Arachnoprince
1) I keep all of mine around 72-74 day/ 68 at night with no problems, if you want them to grow really fast then you can keep it more towards 78-80, these are all pretty hardy and forgiving species.

2) I don't really "mist" my tarantulas, I have a meat syringe that I use to put water drops on the sub, having the sub lightly moist until they are closer to their juvie stage will be fine but at over 1 inch you don't need to keep them very moist if they are arid species. At 1 inch a simple plastic bottle cap will work fine as a water dish/humidity source.
I do not own any brachys but a simple hide should work fine but a good amount of sub should be provided in case they might want to burrow. I don't have P. cancerdies but I have its cousin P. sp Purple, these guys do love to make a big burrow so you will need sub for them. As for the G. pulchra, provide sub as I do know when they are small this genus will dig a burrow.

3) I've never seen an amac container but these species value floor space with some room to burrow, I think these will be fine for a few molts (the canderides will out grow it quick).

4) I have used organic peat moss for all sorts of species (my P.muticus loves it), none of them seemed really bothered. You can leave the cage with the sub out in the sun (without the spider) to dry a little if you are that concerned.

5) That should be fine, at 1 inch they can take down small dubia and crickets but to save money/time feeding them all meal worms will work.

6) The y seem like they are too long and not deep enough, a 2.5-4 inch spider would probably want 5 inches of sub (at least for the canerides), as mine is 1.5 inches and I provide it with 3 inches. At adult sized they will want more than 3 inches of sub as well. I speak from experience that my G.pulchripes and P. sp Purple really like to dig big burrows, might not be applicable to brachys.

7) Most spiders will take a hide but the option to burrow should be provided.As I said the cancerides will want to make a good sized burrow so as an adult 6-8 inches of sub should be provided. A G.pulchripes might be fine with a hide when its older.

8) I go away from 3-7 days at a time and my spiders are fine as long as I leave some extra water. If you are only planning on being gone for a week, then lower your room temps and keep the room dark. Being small you can just leave them in their containers or wrangle them into vials with some moist paper towel. If its summer than get an insulated box with a cooling pack, if its winter than get a heating pack. As for where to get them, I see them at my local exotic shops, if not there are plenty of places to buy them online.

9) 1 inch is the perfect size for a water dish, I use caps from water bottles and they seem to work just fine.

Don't be too worried about the puchra, if it dies then a spider that you got for free died and you had a learning experience.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Would a 15-5/8" x 13-1/8" x 13-1/4 be fine for the Phormictopus? Or should I look for something that's a bit shorter in height?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Would a 15-5/8" x 13-1/8" x 13-1/4 be fine for the Phormictopus? Or should I look for something that's a bit shorter in height?

These guys love to dig so if the sub is put up to a safe height then it should not be a problem.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Okay thanks!
Does anyone have any comments about the four species I picked, their care, temperament or overall experience with them?

cold blood

Staff member
When I look at your 4 t selection I can't help but think of sesame street...lol....One of these things is not like the others...teehee. The P. cancerides will bet bigger, grow much faster, have the best appetite and will be by far the most defensive. It will be the first one that becomes an adult as well, so essentially you will be using the defensive one to prepare you for the less defensive ones as they grow. Still not too difficult to maintain, but don't even try to handle it. I think its a good selection as long as you are prepared. Personally I'd wait a little on the cancerides until you are comfortable with the others. But of course, thats all up to you, I don't think a cancerides would be a tragic misstep or anything, but there's probably a better choice out there that will interest you. Good luck.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I haven't kept any of em, but B. emilia is at the top of my wishlist! I'll be interested in seeing their differences/similarities to the B. smithi.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I've always loved the Phormictopus genus so I thought I would be able to get one and get the full front of it as it is a defensive T. That way it'll prepare me a bit more than the docile ones, and also I wanted a species that would grow and mature a bit faster than the others. Hopefully it's a male as I love the coloration. What is the size difference in this species between genders?

I'm hoping to get some practice with owning a cancerides for OW T's as well.

Also, when should I start offering a hide (for example what size)? And what could the hide be?

Last edited by a moderator:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Double. Disregard

Last edited by a moderator:

CupcakeRosea

Arachnosquire
I just got my P. cancerides yesterday morning. From what I've already learned from her: Don't fall for her puppy eyes, slow walk, or hiding. Because in those eyes is a hidden spawn from hell, she will threat at about 3", she will bite, she will flick hairs, and she will stare you down while you're sleeping.

.. I highly recommend them. LOL. They're very underrated in the hobby.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I've always loved the Phormictopus genus so I thought I would be able to get one and get the full front of it as it is a defensive T. That way it'll prepare me a bit more than the docile ones, and also I wanted a species that would grow and mature a bit faster than the others. Hopefully it's a male as I love the coloration. What is the size difference in this species between genders?

I'm hoping to get some practice with owning a cancerides for OW T's as well.

Also, when should I start offering a hide (for example what size)? And what could the hide be?

Seems a little backwards to go about it that way but phormics are certainly not the worst choice for a first T. They are hard to kill and will grow fast but one would normally start with docile species than move to more defensive ones. As far a I know both the males and females get to impressive sizes, with males being more leggy and female being more bulky. As for it being a step for OW, pslamos and taps are a better experience as they *generally* have more attitude than a phormic that can flick hairs. Of course my P.sp Purple can teleport with the best of them but I find mine to prefer to just be left alone than trying to cause trouble.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Yea it kind of is haha. But I'm into mainly the NW and OW terrestrials with a few exceptions so I don't think I'll be getting any arboreals anytime that I can for see.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Yea it kind of is haha. But I'm into mainly the NW and OW terrestrials with a few exceptions so I don't think I'll be getting any arboreals anytime that I can for see.

Well if you get a few phormics and pamphs under your belt you could certainly go for some of the more "chill" OW like C.darlingi, M.balfouri, H.gabonensis etc. Taps and Pslamos are considered good training wheels for all OW as they are extremely fast, can be defensive (as they cannot flick hairs) but without *as* bad of a bite than that of an OW. I wish you good luck, you will have a giant spider within a year or two. I forgot about your previous question, I provide a hide when they are .5 inch and up. There are some that prefer just to burrow but many are provided with something to hind under if they wish. My phormic used the cork bark when it had it but when I had to take the bark out due to mold, it just made itself a large burrow and seems content with that.

cold blood

Staff member
I always provide a hide unless its so small its kept in a small pill container. An easy hide for little guys is a dry, curled up leaf. I have a small albiceps and a vittata that both took to their leaves quickly. The vitatta does climb and sit on the bark often as well, the albiceps never leaves the area of that leaf.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply!
What size of cork bark would you use for a .5 to 1 inch? And do you just place it on the sub or do you usually make a premade shallow burrow underneath the bark?

---------- Post added 06-23-2014 at 02:23 PM ----------

And thanks, I'll look into getting one or two of those species before getting an OW!

cold blood

Staff member
The P. vittata is an arboreal, that's why it has a vertical piece of bark in there. If laying bark for a terrestrial, I like ones with a concave side, put that down and put the tip of my pinky in just to give them the clue to hide there....works well most of the time.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My slings get a piece of cork bark about 1.5" wide. If it's not concave I hollow it out with a metal tool (I use a pair of sharp tweezers). I put a little burrow under there if I can, but a lot of my slings have completely buried their hide and just made a burrow instead.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Okay thanks! I'll also buy some cork bark and some fake plants for the smaller T's.

Do you have any recommendations for sub? I was planning to use peat moss.