b.smithi might be nothing but just to be sure

mattman

Arachnosquire
I have a 2inch b.smithi over the last couple week she had a tan bald spot for premolt I noticed this morning it is starting to turn black starting at the sides of the bald spot going in.and the abdaman seems to have got larger.but with the premolt I haven't been feeding her.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Just to clarify something OP: It's not the bald spot that indicated it was in pre-molt. Bald spots are just the result of kicking or getting the hairs rubbed off. The visible skin becoming dark is what is the sign of pre-molt. There are some Ts that owners notice become more kicky when in pre-molt, or that will lay down lots of hairs around this time resulting in a bald spot, and use the bald spot as a sign that their individual T is coming up on a molt because they've come to expect this behavior from this T, but it's not a universal indicator. A tarantula can kick itself a bald spot days after molting and have that bald spot a year or longer til it's next molt.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The bald spot is all black now and she has never kicked hairs at me
Sometimes they'll lay down hairs on the substrate. Also if its all black then that probably does mean premolt. Now the waiting begins....

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

cold blood

Staff member
The bald spot is all black now and she has never kicked hairs at me
Sometimes they just kick....Now just watch that black rump (don't bother with offering food), when you see it get really shiny, then you know it won't be very long till it flips. If you are gonna increase humidity, this is the time

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
I have an avic with a bald spot that has been black since it got there. ive also read to wait till its shiny. so do I look for black or do I look for shiny?

cold blood

Staff member
I have an avic with a bald spot that has been black since it got there. ive also read to wait till its shiny. so do I look for black or do I look for shiny?
Both, it will get black, then in the final days before it molts, it will get that distinct shine to it.

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Yeah i love seeing the black and shine... keep it a little bit more humid and one morning your gona wake up and you have a brand new bigger T