P. cancerides

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Found someone on Craigslist selling P. Cancerides slings in my area so I'm going to see if I can get 3-4 slings for one of my GBBs and 5 more for an unsexed juvenile A geniculata.

So if I get nine slings there's no way all of them will be male I will keep you all updated on the trade.

ok so I'm trading one A geniculata, P . Cambridgei, and a GBB sling for 8 P. cancerides
I

Last edited:

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Here are the 8 babies hopefully most will mature into females I'll probably rehouse them in containers a little bigger and maybe take some pictures when I feed them.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
here's a picture of one of my 8 P. cancerides slings.

These guys seem to be very skittish and fast lol, anyway do the slings needs hides? Do they make their own burrows?

its very upsetting that they lose this beautiful blue cover I guess it's to help survive sling life.

Anyone who has these Ts I'd love to hear about your experience/tips growth rates etc.

Also below is the enclosure size I'll be keeping them in for a few molts until I upgrade just wanted to show it.

Thanks!!

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
-sigh- what I wouldn't give for a p.cancerides sling.

I've literally searched everywhere, and the closest I could find was an adult. I'm more of a "raising from sling to adult" kind of person.

Either way, good luck with them, also hoping for some females for you, but if there was none in a batch of eight that would be some bad luck lol.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I don't have this species but I have P. sp Purple, its cousin, so I can offer some insight on the genus. Mine dug a very large and deep burrow, so when they hit 1 inch (and they will soon) give it about 3 inches of some nice peat moss so it can dig to its hearts content. Mine is very fast and skittish but is a very voracious eater of all feeders I have tried, but it seems to prefer roaches. They also grow rather fast, mine has gone from 1 inch to around 2.5 in 5 months and I don't power feed. I keep mine more on the more humid side as they are tropical Ts but they are very hardy and will be more accepting of variation. At 1 inch you can provide a little bowl for them and maybe wet some sphagnum moss to keep humidity up so the T is not displeased with damp sub. Some people have reported them as being defensive but mine generally just teleports into its burrow (and these guys are very fast), there is of course time for it to develop some attitude though.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
TCKS - with my luck I'll have all males at least the adult females don't cost too much

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
If you don't want all your males loan them out or send one my way hah!
I love my super large p. cancerides. She is actually fairly pleasant unless food is involved. Then she slaps the tongs away with sooo much power.
They are excellent Ts and way underrated );
I know my girlfriend looooves hers and permits her to become the Ts jungle gym.

Good luck with these beauts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
If you don't want all your males loan them out or send one my way hah!
I love my super large p. cancerides. She is actually fairly pleasant unless food is involved. Then she slaps the tongs away with sooo much power.
They are excellent Ts and way underrated );
I know my girlfriend looooves hers and permits her to become the Ts jungle gym.

Good luck with these beauts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Let's see some photos!!!!

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I love how even with an abdomen twice the size of the carapace my Phormictopes cancerides still run with their abdomen in the air lol...it's cute because it looks like their trying to mimic a porcupine.

I know one thing though I should have a few upcoming molts by the end of this month hopefully about 8 lol.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I love how even with an abdomen twice the size of the carapace my Phormictopes cancerides still run with their abdomen in the air.
That's to make themselves look bigger, just as cats arch their backs when they're scared.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
That's to make themselves look bigger, just as cats arch their backs when they're scared.
oh ok I figured it was some kind of defense tactic lol.

I've never seen this in any other sling , most of the ones I've seen even my OBT sling they rather run and hide and these PC slings can probably fit their whole body on a quarter

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Megaphobemas and Sericopelma rubronitens have a habit standing 'stilty' when they're young, another attempt to look larger than they really are. Seems to be a South American/Central American thing.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
a few of my Ts molted but the ones I'm really excited about are my Phormictopus cancerides slings.

Out of 8 slings 7 of them molted not sure what the last one is waiting for lol.

Has anyone every brought 5+ Ts and all turned out to be male?

Since the males of this species are purples can I sex them by color or the purple color doesn't come until the final mature molt?

I'm all out of crickets for these size Ts so this week I'm going to buy some and bigger ones for my other Ts.

Below are pictures of two of my Ts the one in the left/top right is the same T during and after a molt.

The bottom right one is the only one out of the 8 that has yet to molt:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Phormictopus males turn purple at maturity, like Pamphos.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Phormictopus males turn purple at maturity, like Pamphos.
thanks, I asked because I was going to get on buying a female asap if they had all turned out to be males at the juvie stage.

I'm horrible at my timing at getting molts out before they destroy them.