Are there any insects that you still kill

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
after becoming a tarantula owner (besides the ones you have to kill in order to feed them)?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Nope, but having tarantulas has nothing to do with that one way or another, I've pretty much always had a no-kill attitude towards "creepy crawlies"...I even feel bad for my feeders. Any wild pest insect that wanders into my house is moved back outside, unless they're silverfish, which I move into my bathtub so they can eat the soap scum. Wild spiders are left alone unless they're in an unsafe spot and then I move them somewhere where they can't get accidentally swept, vacuumed or stepped on.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Roaches and mosquitoes.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

cold blood

Staff member
Sure, in the house I'll kill silverfish, ants, bees and wasps, but only if they are in the house or coming after me or the dog. Outside, its asian lady beetles, emerald ash borers, biting flies (black, deer, horse, etc....hate 'em), ticks, and mosquitos.

I am significantly more tolerant than I was when I was younger. My neighbors laugh when they see me come out to let a spider or other insect that was in the house. I do let some wasps out if they're by the door. I don't kill centipedes, not on purpose anyhow. I find myself observing the insects I locate much more than I ever would have 15 years ago. Its amazing how many spiders are running around on the ground if you really pay attention. I have a couple jumping spiders in the windows...I've actually watched them hunt and even fed them.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mosquitoes

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Same here. Those infectious little bastards IMO have no purpose in this world and spread malaria and West Nile Virus, so why not kill them? I also kill those annoying little Sciarid Flies that gather around my plant collection.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
after becoming a tarantula owner (besides the ones you have to kill in order to feed them)?

Anything that flies on me and, any thing my kids are scared of except my Ts and the crickets lol

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My windshield kills hundreds every week but not intently :) but I do like to swat house flys

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Everything in my house that isn't invited, lol. Which is mainly mosquitoes, drain flies, and false widow spiders (things are everywhere). Outside of the house, I'm much less inclined to kill anything unless its a mosquito landing on me.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Obvious answer is mosquitoes. Especially in my house. Horrid creatures spread disease. Especially between animals (heart worm for example). Anything eating my plants is fair game. I don't want any expensive plants to die because an infestation got out of hand. If I had a mite infestation in any enclosures you can be sure I'd do my best to wipe them from existence as well.

Every other bug I move outside. I don't take joy in killing pests however...Okay maybe mosquitoes a little, slapping those suckers while they try to eat me can be a bit satisfying. They're just trying to live their life though.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Mosquitoes have killed millions of people, and still kill many even today worldwide. No mercy for them.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
#1- monomorium pharoanis 'Pharaoh ant'-- Destructive, killers, carry disgusting diseases, thanks to their penchant for eating carrion- they are a total menace. Despite claims that they cannot survive outdoors, i routinely find them outside killing other ants, destroying lizard eggs, and wreaking havoc.

#2- Solenopsis invicta 'Red Imported Fire Ant'-- Another destructive species, they ruin my lawn more than it already is, kill everything, and of course their fierce aggression and venom are not tolerated

#3- Holocnemus pluchei 'Marbled cellar spider'-- Betcha didnt see that one coming from me. While i do like these spiders, they are a problem, unfortunately, and kill many spiders I like. I've been attempting to extirpate them by introducing psilochorus, a native genus of pholcids. They're establishing and now im seeing them more often in my back yard.

the rest are permitted :) I allow paper wasps to build nests wherever they want. I allow mud daubers to build their brood chambers in my bathroom, i try to coexist with wildlife and learn to live with them, and not against them.

Trailblazr80

Arachnosquire
I don't like killing anything, but I dislike mosquitoes and I really don't like Argentine ants. They get into my bug room and try to invade my tanks, and are a huge pain to get rid of. They will also overpower insects larger than themselves and kill them! So although I respect their organization, strategies, and adaptability, they are the new enemy!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Only mosquitos that try to suck my blood (even then I feel bad about it). I have a friend who ate mosquitos as a little kid to get his stolen blood back.

If me or my dog got bit by a tick I'd kill that I guess.

Scuttlebutt

Arachnosquire
Any human parasite like mosquitoes or ticks get the slap of death. I flush stinkbugs when I find them too. They're an invasive species and a huge annoyance around the house with their loud buzzing, old sneaker stank defense mechanism, and tendency to hang out where you would want bugs the least. I even found one drinking from my toothbrush once.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
#1- monomorium pharoanis 'Pharaoh ant'-- Destructive, killers, carry disgusting diseases, thanks to their penchant for eating carrion- they are a total menace. Despite claims that they cannot survive outdoors, i routinely find them outside killing other ants, destroying lizard eggs, and wreaking havoc.

#2- Solenopsis invicta 'Red Imported Fire Ant'-- Another destructive species, they ruin my lawn more than it already is, kill everything, and of course their fierce aggression and venom are not tolerated

#3- Holocnemus pluchei 'Marbled cellar spider'-- Betcha didnt see that one coming from me. While i do like these spiders, they are a problem, unfortunately, and kill many spiders I like. I've been attempting to extirpate them by introducing psilochorus, a native genus of pholcids. They're establishing and now im seeing them more often in my back yard.

the rest are permitted :) I allow paper wasps to build nests wherever they want. I allow mud daubers to build their brood chambers in my bathroom, i try to coexist with wildlife and learn to live with them, and not against them.
I don't see mosquitos on that list.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

GSA8

Arachnopeon
Perhaps mosquitoes are natures way of controlling the human population. No disrespect to any of the people infected by anything carried by mosquitoes, just saying.

I *try* not to kill anything that wanders or flies into my house, sometimes it can't be helped, but I try.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I allow pretty much everything to live unless it is something that'll kill my garden. Mosquitos cross the line and ants can't come in my house. I don't kill L. hesperus' (western widows) I put 'em in jars and keep them but they don't come in the house. Oddly enough I let spiders in my room but not in my T room.