Should I change my T's tank?

TheJoplinSpider

Arachnopeon
I just got my G. Rosea on tuesday; I set up her tank so that there was a flat rock supported by smaller rocks, twigs as beams, and substrate for her to burrow under. She'd been climbing and sitting on top of it a lot, by today she just been digging around there a lot, taking out some of the rocks and it's still standing but now it's only supported on two sides.I really wan't expecting this and I'm worried it will fall on her, so do you think she knows what she's doing or should I just take it out altogether? She seems to really like it and I don't want to stress her out, but there's also a half-submerged flower pot in there as back up.

Attachments

skippydude

Arachnobaron
If there is any risk that it will collapse on your Tarantula Take it out. I use 6" plastic flower pots cut in half for hides. I get a 2 pack for $1 that will make 4 hides and they come in three earth tone colors brick red, gray and forest green

002.jpg

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I would move it, burrow it down so it can only be climbed on. Worries about things falling are the reason some hobbyists glue the wood and rocks into the enclosure.

For hides, I flip a cheap piece of tupperware upside down, cut out the front and burrow it in a little and cover the top and sides with substrate like a cave.

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
if you don't want to use a pot and you want it to look a little more natural go for corkbark. with a little hot glue you can make a hide of almost any shape or size. if you want you can hot glue the corkbark to the sides of the glass and put little rocks under it that look asthetically similar to the setup you have now and maybe your T will move them again, which makes them feel like their hide is his or her own because she excavated it itself

cold blood

Staff member
I wouldn't put rocks under the hide, t's like to burrow there so I like to make my hides excavation friendly.