New additions!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I posted a thread a few months back asking how to move my tarantulas across the country. Well, all went well, so you know what that means - new T's! I moved to a large city, and luckily, there's an exotic pet store here that has a huge selection of spiders (relative to what stores usually have). The best part? All captive bred and bought from the common stores advertised here. The owner said he's actually a member here. But enough of that. I planned on just buying one, but you know how that goes.

As soon as I saw this guy, he was in my cart. Hapalopus sp Colombia, about 2mm dls, who I've dubbed Linus. I've always wanted one of these guys, and luckily for me, this is one of the best display tarantulas I have. I rehoused it last night, and it's already made a burrow 2cm deep. Quite impressive considering it's size, but I don't know why it bothered, since it just stays on the top of the substrate at all times.
20140622_094052.jpg

Next up is the Brachypelma vagans, about 3mm dls, who I have yet to name. Very small and timid guy. It stays out in the open at all times, unless there is a vibration, and then he bolts for the hide.
20140622_094000.jpg

Finally we have my Ceratogyrus darlingi, about 3cm dls, who I've named Rafiki. I started a burrow with my pinky, and over night it has made a 90 degree turn towards the middle of the container. I got a good look at it yesterday, though. Beautiful T, and very docile.
20140622_094230.jpg

So, I know the general husbandry of these spiders, but any insider tips? Anything I should watch out for? As always, I've done my research on these guys (mostly via this forum), but it never hurts to ask.

Last edited:

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure you mean centimeters not millimeters. You'd need a microscope to get a decent photo of something that small. Take some mechanical pencil lead and place three pieces side by side, and you'll have two millimeters. Tarantula eggs are bigger than that.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
No, the pumpkin patch is definitely somewhere between 2-5mm. Hard to get a good measurement. The B vagans, though, was definitely a typo. That one is about 7-10mm. That's what I get for using a tablet to type this out.

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yup the pumpkin patch is truly a tiny little thing. If you are not careful you might miss it.
I say they are a little larger than an 1/8" but smaller than a 1/4".
They molt quickly but don't seem to grow much after every molt.

EulersK, if you like it now, just wait till the colors start to pop : )
They are beautiful!!

friendttyy

Arachnolord
No, the pumpkin patch is definitely somewhere between 2-5mm. Hard to get a good measurement. The B vagans, though, was definitely a typo. That one is about 7-10mm. That's what I get for using a tablet to type this out.
tablets are kak i have to agree. I neef mine for scghool...

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I love my little H. sp. "Colombia" large. It's a daring, fast, funny little spider to keep that ontop of it all, is so colorful. Mine is a little defensive, kicking hairs or even trying to bite when bothered (maintenance / feeding) but a great and easy spider to keep.